FAQ #16: Can I fix a mistake in my forum post?

One of the best features of Discourse is that it allows you to fix mistakes in your posts. We’ve all sent an email and realized immediately (or even not so immediately) that we put a date in wrong or forgot to include some information. You can edit your forum posts for up to a week, although it’s best to make any changes within the first 10 minutes because Discourse waits that long after you post to send email notifications to those who prefer to get them that way.

To edit your post, click the pencil icon underneath it. The composition pane opens, showing the full text of your post. Make your change and click the Save Edit button.

Edit-post-pencil

If you make a change after the first 5 minutes, Discourse records the original text and shows the difference to anyone who clicks the small pencil icon that appears in the upper-right corner of the post, just to the left of the post age.

You can even edit the title of a topic that you’ve created. Click the pencil icon to the right of its name, make the change in the field that appears (you can also move it to a different category if need be), and click the blue checkmark button to save your edit.

That’s it for the FAQ entries that I have prepared. Please feel free to ask any other questions you may still have here in Site Help & Comments, and I’ll do my best to answer them.

And remember, you can always read the entire FLRC Forum FAQ in Google Docs.