FH Fox Star Posts

Use this topic for posts to collect community stars for the FH Fox course.

Here’s how it works.

• Click the “Post Using This Template” button below to create a new post with a Story heading and boilerplate text.
  • Replace the boilerplate text with your report for one or both sections. The header is key for distinguishing between posts and replies—don’t change it.
  • Your post must be on the same calendar day as your run as entered in Webscorer.

Story

To pick up a community star, replace this text with a write-up of what your run was like, a photo you took on the run, a link to your Strava track, or something similar. Don’t delete the Story heading above.

Story

It’s probably all downhill from here … but … having registered for the Challenge at about 8:20 am, I attempted to join the kick-off group run at 8:30 but a series of mishaps on the way to the start (including leaving my phone in a bathroom on Cornell’s campus, and I really needed it for the RunGo directions as I hadn’t previewed the course) prevented that from happening. I eventually got started at 9:30 am…fortunately before anyone else finished. I was not expecting much as my last trail run, in Texas 2 weeks ago, had been done at the stellar pace of 14:41/mile. And I hadn’t run 5 miles since late December 2023 so this was a Challenge. The first leg, out to the FH Fox bridge, went easily enough. I passed some walkers going the other way but mostly had the trail to myself, and it was familiar trail. After crossing the bridge, the main concern was staying on course - there are lots of ways to get around the fields, as I know from walking my dog over the years. But the RunGO directions were spot on and I had no trouble following the route over to the Freese Rd bridge. As I crossed the bridge, I saw 2 hikers with 2 dogs on the far side, and one of the dogs was giving me the “YOU SHALL NOT PASS” stare. However, came to find out that the dogs were awaiting their owner, a tall, slender man whom the hikers had seen earlier on the trail frantically looking for the dogs. So it was just mistaken identity - one that was happily corrected when the owner rushed up breathless and grateful. With that happy reunion in my rearview mirror, I continued on my way down to the suspension bridge and into the Arboretum. There I had my moment of doubt and pain - I had to walk up the last flight of stairs, and I wasn’t sure at the top if I was following the route, but after a few moments of recovery and a quick check of the map, I knew I was okay. I passed a few more walkers on the Arboretum roads, only to be caught and passed myself by Steve Jesch on his 2nd loop…I remember when I could run like that! I convinced Steve it wasn’t worth waiting for me, and fortunately he went on. I was on very familiar terrain, having run this stretch of the course many times on my own, so I cruised past the barns (no donkeys, sadly) and over 366 to the dirt roads that took me back out to Game Farm. I was puzzling over distances - I knew it wasn’t a mile on the roads back to the start when the RunGo happily informed me that “you need more distance - go straight”…solving the mystery. I got back to the start in short order, and was delighted to see that I finished in 55 minutes…much better than I expected. And I was happy to see no one waited for me…I had my own rewards waiting at home…

4 Likes

Story

It was awesome to see the huge turnout for the Challenge kickoff run! The big crowd helped keep my energy up, and with Gerrit pacing most of the way I finished the FH Fox quicker than expected. I knew it was a good omen when I saw a roadside fox on the drive in, half a mile from the meeting area. I’ll probably run this course a lot this summer.

4 Likes

Story

I ran this course Monday the 15th as an easy effort just after running Freeville the day before. Lots of springtime chipmunks crossing my path on the trail parts & believe I also saw my first spring woodchuck of the year. I had not been to the East Ithaca Rec Way since the installation of the new crosswalk and lights at Game Farm, so I was a little surprised at where the final turn was - but it makes a more scenic route than just turning down Stevenson would have been. If I were still working at Cornell I’d definitely be hitting this course on workdays.

2 Likes

Story

How Much Land Does Cornell Own?
Another first time course for me and I loved it! Every year of the Challenge, it seems there is a trail taking me to parts of Cornell I never knew about. There are rivers with less flow than Fall Creek, so what is the distinction?

I did use the bridges this time, but wading across Fall Creek is calling to me…

2 Likes

Story

The Mighty Oak!
I stepped out of the car into a wind tunnel along the rail trail! Skies were dry but rains were blowing in. I had planned to run the course clockwise but changed my mind to start with the wind at my back. I checked the radar map and it appeared I might make it around before the rain clouds arrived.

I was having a comfortable run under the clouds, and out of the wind once I dropped into the woods. Bounded across the suspension bridge, up the stairs, and around to Arboretum Road. As I made the left turn on Arboretum Road, my view captured this magical tree up the grassy field across the road:

I crossed the road and strolled up the hill for a closer look. It’s trunk is larger than it seems from the picture. Old, gnarly, and determined – probably from before Cornell University was even founded. It is a magnificent oak in it’s own way and I got a chill basking in the mystery of its history, though maybe that was because I had stopped running too long. I will look forward to this oak every future loop around this course.

2 Likes

That is a landmark tree, which is partly why Cornell has roped it off in recent years. Once, in the spring of our freshman year at Cornell in 1986, there was a super warm day. Tonya and I somehow decided that it was so nice that we were going to sleep under that tree for the night. Needless to say, warm though it had been during the day, the temperature dropped precipitously, and at some point in the night, we hightailed it back to the dorm in Collegetown.

There are also canonical High Noon (and now FLRC) workouts that involve sprinting up the hill in front of that tree and continuing until you’re level with it, then jogging back down.

3 Likes

Story

Really enjoyed this course running with Tatyana again. Especially after getting off the rail trail. Beautiful scenery. More navigational challenges and bonus miles. But that’s the standard at this point.

2 Likes

Story

This was the first course for the year for me and Simon, who is now 8 years old. We really liked how the route connects different familiar areas in a new way. We kept an easy steady pace with just a few quick stops to look at a ladybug, read some signs, look at a horse, and have some water. He was definitely tired by the last mile, but remained enthusiastic the whole way. He’s the best little running buddy, and I enjoy getting to do the courses at a slower pace with him, with no time pressure. Just a fun way to spend the afternoon together.

5 Likes

Story

:flushed: How did we jump to June weather already?!

Ran this course after work. Figured I might as well dive into heat acclimation training :woman_shrugging::hot_face:
Changed to run/walk intervals and had my hydration/electrolytes with me.
Really enjoyed the woods sections

… Sadly still having issues with RunGo :person_facepalming:

I wonder if my phone hibernates or someone that stops the GPS? :thinking: My reinstall has all the correct permissions :woman_shrugging:
but the gpx files on my watch work great :+1:

Sorry that RunGo isn’t working well on your phone, @mplank, but if you have the GPX tracks working on your watch, that’s fine. You might poke around and see if there are any GPS accuracy or battery-saving settings that could be impacting RunGo.

Story

I’m glad to have these challenge courses available to get me off my ‘usual’ running routes.

I had so many thoughts run through my head on this run. Below are some:

Today I don’t care about my time. If my foot bothers me, I will stop. Ugh, is that a snake, phew, no. Wait is that one? No. Leaps up, okay, that was snake. I really miss running on trails. It’s so quiet. Am I still on course? I remember when I was connected with Tonya several years ago, and she told me about these trails. I should run these more often. I wish I was faster. Remember the Challenge motto, “Cover the Ground!” Great, there is a guy in front of me wearing headphones while walking his dog. Does he know I’m coming? Will he hear me if I announce myself. No. Someone needs to teach RunGo ______ (was she given a name?) how to pronounce Cayuga! Ugh. I know those hills are coming. Cover the ground, cover the ground. I appreciate the humor in these directions. Should I try to convince Jay to do a personal Challenge so we could hike together? Maybe I’ll have to ride a bike some. Where is that truck going? Whoa! Biker, watch out! Running by the paddocks reminds me of running by the beef barns at Idaho (University of). Was that a mare dummy?? Look both ways before crossing the road! Only 1 more mile to go. The Challenge has to introduced me to a lot of running routes and trails. Almost done! My time doesn’t matter … my time doesn’t matter … my time doesn’t matter.

4 Likes

Stream of Sarah Consciousness. :slight_smile:

Terrifying, right?!? And this was just a sampling of what went through my head!