FH Fox Star Posts

Story

This is one of my favorite everyday running routes, though I don’t always run it exactly this “challenging” way. I had a little drizzle and wind, and temps in the high 50s, which suited me just fine. I gotta figure out how to reverse my camera so it captures text from left to right.

3 Likes

For iPhone users who are running into this—I’ve seen it in other photos too—you can fix this problem by turning off Settings > Camera > Mirror Front Camera.

For Android, Perplexity says:

To turn off the mirror front camera setting in Android, follow these steps:

1. Open the Camera app on your Android device.
  2. Tap the Settings icon (usually a gear or three-dot menu icon).
  3. Look for an option called “Save selfies as previewed”, “Mirror front camera”, or something similar. The exact wording may vary depending on your device’s manufacturer.
  4. Toggle off or disable this option.
2 Likes

Story

4th. :sweat_smile:
So I admit my ignorance…(And laziness) But why is it call FH Fox?
:thinking:

1 Like

The old railroad bridge you cross that goes over 366 has FH Fox spray painted on the side. Every year Cornell students would update his age, and since he passed, it now just says FH Fox is 4ever. Here’s a shot from Google Maps and an article about him: Historical hijinks from college prankster F.H. Fox | Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine.

2 Likes

That is so awesome I am so Glad I asked :laughing:
now I really want the sign … :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I spent a lot of quality time with her at night during the Ultra Challenge and decided her name is RunGo Rachel!

3 Likes

Story

Another morning run, this time in reverse. Not sure which direction I like better :thinking:
Anywho, one thing I learned running so “early”
I clear the trail of spider :spider::spider_web: webs for everyone :joy:
Well… Everyone 5’2" lol if your taller I make no promises :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

Story

Lovely morning for some hiking :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
Took Matt and Courtney through FH Fox this morning :blush:
Met the cutest hound :service_dog: enjoyed wall the water and plant life around us on this course.

Matt and I will do another course this afternoon after a week earned lunch at PokeLava :ramen::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Not sponsored :rofl:

2 Likes

Story

Gaia’s reprieve was actually a cruel joke, because by the time I got to the FH Fox start, the rain had stopped and it was ridiculously hot and humid already. Combine that with the :horse::poop: from the surrounding farms, and add the fact that I’m out of practice with eating while running, and this one was pretty :nauseated_face: disastrous.

Part 2 - Hammond Hill
3 - FH Fox.gpx (108.1 KB)
Part 4 - Lindsay-Parsons

3 Likes

Story

I really enjoyed running this course with @MWoods on this gorgeous morning. And together we managed to run the course without errors, hooray! I particularly loved running through these wildflowers and had to pause to get a photo of Michelle’s back. I looked them up and I believe they are Dame’s Violets (also known as Dame’s Rocket or Gilliflower), a non-native species. Correct me if I’m wrong, please. Now I’m off to perform a tick check.:smile:

3 Likes

Story

This course was great! Getting over here on graduation weekend, not so great. It was a gorgeous day and this route is super pretty.

Headed over to Lindsay-Parsons next to get in a few more miles today.

3 Likes

Story

A lovely morning hike with @dianahackett. Some great trails I haven’t been on before!

3 Likes

Story

The wacky adventures of Dina and Amber🐕‍🦺: The FH Fox version

Since I am injured, I’m doing all of the courses with my dog (except Duck Trails). I started late, like 7:20 p.m., on Friday. I figured if I could keep a 15 min/mile pace, we’d be fine for light.

The first part of the course was familiar from a previous challenge year, but I was pleasantly surprised to learn about some new trails. :slightly_smiling_face:
All was fine, and I was trying to jog a bit, but that wasn’t happening. Neither was my 15 min/mile goal pace. :woman_shrugging:t2:

When we got to the Freese Rd bridge, Amber couldn’t cross. She was frozen with fear, so I picked her up and carried her across. We were both rewarded with the lovely fields and service road of the Freese Rd. Trails! Thankfully, she didn’t take off after the :deer:…it was right about this half way point that I realized I had lost my glasses, which were hanging on my sweatshirt. :confused:

I had no idea that there were trails on the Fall Creek side of the Botanic Gardens not the suspension bridge. For me, that’s greatest part of the Challenge: getting exposed to new places and trails.:tada:

I almost got hit by some guy going 40 mph on the main road in the garden. Not sure what that was all about, but a car coming the other way (behind me) asked if I was ok. We both agreed the driver was a jerk* (a different word was used).

Sad not to see any donkeys at the farm, but happy not to have to run on 366 because it was getting dark.

Finally got to the last 1/4 mile and started jogging - we needed to finish because it was getting dark. I looked for my glasses on the trail, then drove back over to the Freese Rd. bridge. Success! They had fallen when I picked Amber up to carry her.

Got home and realized my driver’s license and Cornell ID were missing. :woman_facepalming:t2: When I checked my email later, I was so grateful to read that a Good Samaritan found them…right in front of the challenge sign. Whew! Too much, but got it done. :white_check_mark:

3 Likes

Story

A slightly cool and cloudy Wednesday evening for the FH Fox run. Lovely route - love the trails (though a little worried about poison ivy). It was my first look at any part of the Dryden Rail Trail. Very cool.

3 Likes

Story

What a lovely cool morning to run this fun course. I was glad for my long clothing this morning to protect against ticks along the overgrown trail. The cool weather also meant a great opportunity to put on some speed. It was super fun to meet a new friend, @msmee, along the course as well.

4 Likes

Story

Beautiful morning for making new friends, a great side-bonus of this challenge :slight_smile: About a mile in, a very cheery @caitlin-loehr sped past me… So impressive! Inspired me to keep my pace up as much as I could, made it up all the stairs and hills and felt good! We met up at the end and chatted about how great the challenge is and how much wonderful work @adamengst does. Thank you!

3 Likes

Story

My second time on this course and about 12 min faster. Here are three things I did to improve my time. First, I didn’t go a 1/4 mile in the wrong direction then turn and run that same 1/4 mile. For me, that’s a good 5 min saving. Second, I didn’t make this the closing 1/2 of my longest run of the year at that point (27k). That slowed me, especially with the hills in the latter part of the course. Third, and this is a big one, run faster. It always seems to help me get faster time. Not sure why. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Gerald

5 Likes

Story

This was course #4 for the day! Definitely committed to finishing the Tough Trail Challenge at this point but argh it was hard to get started. We had conferred with Adam about a course modification that would avoid the area closed due to the potentially rabid coyote. More road but no bites, so all good.

3 Likes

I’ve gotten a request to post the slightly modified FH Fox course that Julie and Gabby ran, so here it is. Basically, you turn down Mount Pleasant Road, cross 366, cross the Freese bridge, and continue on the course, That cuts out about .75 miles, so if you just run out Stevenson to the end of the Cornell barns (the Skunk 10K turnaround spot).

https://onthegomap.com/s/kru4h92b

I am NOT recommending this alternate course—we have no idea how far the coyote may range, and this version touches the edges of the areas called out by the Tompkins Health Department. Julie and Gabby only had only that day to do the Trail Challenge together. So, if you choose to run this course, it’s on you, but you can submit it for the Challenge with one caveat: no times posted on this version of the course will qualify for the fastest time prize since the extra road stretch probably makes it a little faster.

Hopefully, the FLRC roadrunner will win out over the wily coyote soon, so we can run the full course again! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Story

a bit of a rollercoaster morning for me, but it helped so much to be back on my favorite course :heartbeat::running_woman:
Saw another challenger Rebecca :wave::smiling_face: only knew that because she was sporting the new FLRC CHALLENGE swag :sunglasses: :+1:

3 Likes