FLRC Presents: Risk Factors for Running Injuries available to watch

Last night’s presentation by Jason Tuori went extremely well, with Jason taking us through his presentation and then answering questions from attendees afterward. Everyone can now watch the 1-hour talk on FLRC’s YouTube channel, and if you have questions after watching, post them in this topic.

The slides by themselves aren’t terribly useful, so we’re not sharing those at the moment, but if there’s interest, we can ask Jason for them.

Sarah Drumheller asked a great question about the emotional aspects of recovering from injury, and I promised to provide links to the two resources I mentioned:

• The Injured Athletes Club: A combination of a weekly email newsletter, podcast, and Facebook group, all dedicated to the mental health side of recovering from injury.
  • Rebound: This book, by the same people who run the Injured Athletes Club, promises to “train your mind to bounce back stronger from sports injuries.” I found it a bit too general—most of the athletes profiled weren’t everyday runners like us—and its exercises seemed too time-consuming. But it has many useful things to say and is worth reading for anyone dealing with an injury that’s keeping you from running for a long time.

Finally, if you watched the live presentation or the recording, we’d appreciate it if you could fill out this quick survey to help us with future presentations. Jason and I discussed the possibility of additional presentations that focus on specific injuries—if that’s of interest, please say so in the survey.

Thanks again for joining us!

1 Like

I have just experienced one of those “injuries” very vividly. The risk from a spike in training intensity—a negative spike in my case. We just had 12 days of smoke out here in OR and 10 of those days were very severe. I stopped running for those 10 continuous days and strictly stayed inside, as the conditions were extremely bad. After the smoke cleared, I restarted running on the 9/19, in time for Bruce’s Retirement Run, with a 5 mile run. That run was fine. The next day I went out again. That second run was a struggle and I quit at 6 miles, well short of my intentions for that day. By later that day, I was so sore and stiff that I could hardly more, or actually if I stopped moving I could not easily restart. This pain and stiffness continued, but did slowly decrease over a few days. I was in worse shape than I have ever been after the exertion of running a marathon. Both of those two runs were well inside of what I had been doing prior to the break.

I was totally surprised, that just a 10-day break would set me back so much. In talking with a few fellow runners in Portland who also quit for the smoke, I found I was not alone in this problem, although my experience was probably worse than their experience.

Folks I have talked with in other parts of the country typically think there must be a cause other than just my 10-day break. I was glad to hear Jason mention that as a cause for injury as it confirms that in fact it was likely the break in training and not something else.

2 Likes