FLRC women's roster for PGXC #1 on 9/12/2021

Hi @pgxc-women,

It’s time to get in gear for the first PGXC race on Sunday! (at Long Branch Park in the Syracuse area) We have a good mix of returning and new runners, and it looks like we’ll be racing well. If you missed the earlier message about carpooling, go ahead and read it; contact Amalia Skilton (@amalia on the FLRC forum) if you are vaccinated and looking for a ride.

I’ve included the draft roster below - please check that you are listed correctly (if you aren’t listed, then I think you aren’t coming - but there is still time to sign up). I need to know your plan so I can make appropriate teams.

Here is how to sign up:

1. Sign up on RunSignup
  2. Fill in Y/N/? for your row in the roster sheet - add a row for yourself if you need to.

Here’s who is coming so far

FLRC U19 (co-ed)

• Banyan Love
  • Ben Lambert
  • Oliver Lambert

Open

Masters

Vets

• Brenda Osovski
  • Caitlyn Loehr
  • Kim Jackson
  • Sandy Gregorich (please confirm your Y; text me)

Super Vets

What time should we plan on meeting on Sunday? We are still doing collective warm-ups/cool downs, right?

Adam and I were talking about this very question earlier today. Our suggestion is to arrive an hour before the race begins. When Adam and I arrive, we’ll set up an FLRC tent and (probably) an FLRC “feather” banner, so it will be easy to find a centralized location for meeting each other. And, a big yes to collective warm-ups and cool downs - same as previous years, I would expect. I’ll send a big message soon with more details, but it should be a lot like how things happened in 2019 - just less in the way of organized carpooling.

1 Like

@pgxc-flrc Here’s the latest on our Sunday race, with details about what to wear, where to go, etc. Please fill out your line on the Google sheet roster if noted below—I need to know who’s really coming to create teams. Looks like a strong open team and a strong vets team; masters runners will probably “run down.” I’m looking forward to seeing you!

FLRC U19 (co-ed)

• Banyan Love
  • Ben Lambert
  • Oliver Lambert

Open

Masters

• Michelle Woods
  • Patty Larkin

Vets

• Brenda Osovski
  • Caitlyn Loehr
  • Kim Jackson
  • Sandy Gregorich
  • Julie Randall

If you suddenly can’t come: Tell me by Friday night before the race. If something comes up after Friday, text me at 607-275-8383.

What to wear & borrowing a jersey

If possible, wear blue or black shorts. If you’ll need to borrow a jersey, wear a blue shirt in case there isn’t a jersey that fits well. Look for a box of jerseys in the team tent area and sign one out on the clipboard.

I had hoped to have new jerseys this year, but we’ve run into supply chain slowdowns on an order placed July 11. The new jerseys will have the FLRC logo and be a close match to the High Noon jerseys, and we’ll have sizing options in men’s and women’s.

Carpools & when to arrive

Due to COVID, we aren’t coordinating mass carpools the way we have in years past, If you missed the earlier message about carpooling, go ahead and read it; contact Amalia Skilton (@amalia on the FLRC forum) if you are vaccinated and looking for a ride.

The race starts at 11am, so I suggest you aim to arrive around 10am.

Directions & maps

The race is at Long Branch Park in Liverpool, NY. Google Maps brings it up. If you see a small GVH sign once you are near or in the park, follow it (GVH is the running club that puts on the PGXC series). In 2019, we parked in the big lot near the lower right of this photo:

The course has loops, so it’s worth taking a look at before you get there.

What to do when you arrive

• Find FLRC and High Noon teammates at the FLRC tent, which Adam and I will bring with us.

• Let me know you are here. (Most of you know I had back surgery last week. To avoid repeating myself a lot on race day, and so you know, the operation went as planned, the recovery is going smoothly, and I may be able to start running again in late October.)

• Borrow an FLRC jersey.

• There will be a central table where you can pick up your tag. If the tags work as before, they will be small rectangles that you pin with one pin to your hip. They will be organized by sub-team on pegs, so open runners (ages 20-39) should look on the peg of other open runners. Some older runners may be “running down” onto younger teams, so your tag may not be exactly where you’d expect. If you ordered a PGXC series shirt, it will probably be available in the same area - best to pick these up early in case you need to change your size.

• Warm up together. We are a friendly team, and this is when new and old teammates can welcome each other and decipher the course map while previewing the course. People generally warm up in groups of 2 to 20.

• Restroom if needed.

• Get to the starting line 5-10 minutes before 11:00 to join the team cheer and hear announcements.

After the race

When you finish running, stick around near the finish line to cheer for teammates. Our slower runners are crucial to scoring! If you are a slower runner, congratulations on finishing!

Do a post-race cool down with others on the team. We will have runners trying to put in a few more miles, and runners who are happy to have managed the race distance, but everyone would benefit from at least a short cooldown jog before getting back in the car.

There will be post-race refreshments, provided by the PGXC series, such as bananas, oranges, energy bars, and single-serving chips/pretzels.

A half-hour or so after all runners finish, there will be an awards ceremony for individuals in their age groups (chocolate) and teams (beer) who placed well.

Good luck everyone, and have fun!
Deb Bliss

1 Like

Hi Tonya, I’ll be running. Super vet. Anne Shakespeare

1 Like

Thanks for confirming. I’ll make sure you’re on the roster for Sunday’s race.

Looking forward to it! Glad I found this thread to clear up confusion, the google calendar reminder I got showed us running in Rochester LOL See you all at 10am tomorrow morning in Syracuse. :slight_smile:

Glad you’re headed to the right spot, @Banyan_Tree. Let me know if you got that reminder from one of our calendars—I thought they were all right, but perhaps something got mixed up.