FLRC workouts for the week of February 8th, 2021

The weather continues to be better for snowshoeing and skiing than running, but for those who are looking for a workout, I’m recommending some longer, slower work. Given the cold and the slippery footing, you don’t want to be running at full speed, and it’s important to keep moving the entire time so your muscles don’t tighten up. Also make sure to warm up well before increasing speed and focus on effort, not pace.

I’m working on details of the informal snowshoeing clinic this coming weekend, probably Saturday the 13th at 11 AM at the Cornell golf course. Stay tuned for specifics once I figure out how many pairs of loaner snowshoes I can round up.

Middle Distance Workouts (5K to 15K)

• Workout: After at least 10 minutes of warmup, run 2 miles at M-pace effort, 3 minutes of E-pace recovery, and then 1 mile at T-pace effort. Make sure to get at least 10 minutes of easy jogging in afterward.

• Long Run: 25-30% of your weekly mileage at E pace

Long Distance Workouts (Half Marathon to Marathon)

• Workout: After at least 10 minutes of warmup, run 3 miles at M-pace effort, 3 minutes of E-pace recovery, 2 miles at M-pace effort, 3 minutes of E-pace recovery, and finally 1 mile at T-pace effort. Make sure to get at least 10 minutes of easy jogging in afterward.

• Long Run: 25-30% of your weekly mileage at E pace

Resources

A post was split to a new topic: Any mile races happening?