High Noon men’s roster for PGXC #3 (Akron Falls) on 10/10/2021

Good day, @pgxc-men! We’re a week out from the third PGXC race, and it’s time to start figuring out the roster. This race is often a tough one for us to field teams because it’s a 2.5-hour drive, and many people don’t have time for that. Historically, we often stop at Simply Crepes in Canandaigua on the way back for lunch, and perhaps they or some other restaurant/winery/brewery would have outdoor dining.

Here’s what I’m seeing on the roster spreadsheeet—if this doesn’t match your plans to attend or not, please update the spreadsheet and let me know.

FLRC U19

These guys are recruiting for another couple of runners since they need five for a team. If you know of any teens who would be interested in running, let me know!

• Banyan Love
  • Ben Lambert

Open

• None

Masters

• Tristan Lambert

Vets

Only three people are likely here, so I think you can see where this is going. Without more signups, we’d be running our vets down to masters to complete a team.

• Adam Engst
  • Jean-Luc Jannink
  • Jesse Koenecke (if necessary)

Super Vets

Only two people are committed to the Super Vets team, but with some maybes, I’m hoping we can lure at least one of you to complete the team.

• Casey Carlstrom (maybe—love to see you, Casey!—again, sign up in RunSignUp too)
  • Carl Franck
  • Charlie Fay
  • Joel Leff (maybe)

Logistical details coming later in the week, and given the length of the drive, I hope we can organize some more carpools among those who feel comfortable driving with one another.

Thanks Adam for pulling us together!, Sincerely, Carl

1 Like

Hey @pgxc-high-noon and @pgxc-women, we just heard from Mike Nier that the Akron Falls course is now a 5K instead of a 6K. I must admit, I can’t quite visualize how this matches with what we’ve run before.

Due to a section of Akron Falls Park being deemed forever wild, the Akron Falls Course has been modified and shortened to a 5k race. Same start/finish locations, different course, same great race!

http://www.gvh.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/2021-Akron-5k.pdf

Adam:
Sadly, I’m going to have to pass on this - my right calf is just not healing quickly enough. I tried to join up with the Mithical Milers workout tonight, but after a mile, the calf tightened up again. Gonna have to take more rest

Adam and I can’t recall any part of the previous course that went through what felt like a “wild” area, but perhaps the far loop went near one.

I am hoping to find a ride with someone! I am vaccinated and happy to mask up in the car.

Also, if anyone knows any vet women, we are short this week, last I heard we did not have enough for a team. Which is too bad as we have won the last two races and it stinks to take a zero points day.

Sandy, please reply to the carpooling topic. We thought we might be able to all drive up in one car, but any more and two will be needed. :red_car: :blue_car:

OK, @pgxc-men, I need to nail down the roster. Here’s how I see things—let me know where you stand if you’re in the mix below:

Open: I’m assuming from radio silence that there will be no Open runners.

Masters: I know Tristan is planning to come with Ben and Oliver for U19, but Scott, are you still on for the race?

Vets: Jean-Luc and I are definitely coming—Jesse, is your calf up for running yet? Here’s the thing. We need three Vets to run down to Masters, assuming Scott is coming, to make up the five-man team. We’re pretty likely to score if we do that, since Masters is a weak category this year, and word is that Syracuse won’t be there in force. (And a team of Scott, me, Jean-Luc, Tristan, and Jesse is actually pretty strong.)

Super Vets: We have Charlie and Carl committed, but we need at least one more for the three-man Super Vets team: Alan or Casey or Joel. If we had four Super Vets, that would allow either Scott or Jesse to back out of Masters and still have a team there.

Also be sure to reply to Jean-Luc’s carpooling thread if you want to ride up with others. I’m assuming everyone is vaccinated.

I will not be there. Sorry. I plan to make the last two

Thanks for letting me know, Scott. @casey, @alan-lockett, @leffmath, we need at least two of the three of you to be able to field both Masters and Super Vets teams. Hmm, unless I can convince the race directors to let us run U19 runners up…

I’m not going to make it. Good Luck guys!

Alan.

@adamengst My calf is still causing my problems. I could potentially run, but would be at ~9:00 pace, based on my last few attempts. Anything much faster aggravates the soleus more than I care to push. The distance I can go, and the time to recover seem to be improving though. So, I am open to running, if that makes or breaks a complete team. Otherwise, I should probably sit it out and skip the trip.

Thanks, Jesse, I was afraid of that. Let’s see what @casey and @leffmath say, since if we end up with only two Super Vets, we’re all running down to Masters.

Since we haven’t heard from @casey or @leffmath (and both were questionable from the start), I’m going to suggest that @JesseKoennecke stay home and rest his calf. The rest of us will join forces and focus our attention on the Masters race, where we can field a full team.

If someone shows up unexpectedly, we can juggle race day, but I don’t like to ask Mike Nier to do more such moving of people around than is absolutely necessary.

Sorry for having not gotten back to you sooner. But I too am having leg problems. I think I’ve just been overdoing it lately and I was hoping I would be fit for Sunday but it doesn’t look like I will be. It’s just persistent soreness but I’ve been too stupid and two driven to stay off it completely which is probably what it needs.

No worries, Joel—get healthy for Taughannock!