Inlet Shore Trail Star Posts

Story

Talk about a glorious group run—fabulous weather, amiable company with a bunch of new faces, a scenic course, and post-run breakfast with friendly runners. I mostly ran with @billwatson and Patrick and Michael, but because of all the turns and repeats, we got to see others throughout, including @sryan004 and @bob-congdon, who started early. @heathercobb3 will have more photos because she did a great job of rounding everyone up at the end, but here’s one of her and (right to left) @tonya-engst and @amy-dawson.

Shop Local

My first star in this category—we got breakfast burritos and sandwiches at GreenStar. Their made-to-order counter isn’t open until 11, but they make hot breakfast sandwiches and put them in a Hot Bar display case. The turkey sausage and egg sandwich on whole wheat was tasty, and I discovered that they’re storing the single-server chocolate milk in the beverage case to the right as you walk in, right by the produce (not in the dairy cooler). Afterward, about 12 of us gathered at the picnic tables to eat and chat for another half hour or so.

2 Likes

Story

I was nervous about this run because of the distance, but I persuaded @caroline-brockner to walk the first and last half miles with me, and we planned to start a little early. When I got there, I learned that @amy-dawson and @lgilmer wanted to try this as well. We set out a little early. I got RunGo working on my watch, scanned in with Webscorer, and started Apple Workout (I always use Apple Workout because I’m participating in some health research studies). And then… I ran and ran and ran and it felt great. I was pretty sure it was maybe a little fast, but the sun was out, the conversation convivial, the water sparkling. At some point Amy or Caroline said that we were doing 9:30 miles, which I felt was probably impossible for me right now so I stopped listening for information like that since I thought it would make me overthink my speed. We criss-crossed with faster and slower runners a few time - it was very community-like. Around 4 miles in, it started to get kind of hard and Laurel and I dropped back a little. Somewhere near the end, the four of us took a wrong turn (I now understand how I misinterpreted RunGo), so we were a little short in distance, so we just ran a little farther toward the Farmers Market before ending. What a fun run! @adamengst and I are strongly considering a Sunday Taughnnock course run next Sunday and then the following weekend it may be a Saturday run (by @heathercobb3) at Hammond Hill for Thom B. preview and/or challenge.

If this works right, here is my Strava link:

https://www.strava.com/activities/7034535030/embed/115b85e44223b0105647a2d6f2cfa5f86d665ecb

Shop Local

Post-run, I got a breakfast burrito at Greenstar. After eating, Adam and I went back into Greenstar and bought things like ham and maple syrup and spent $$ to support one of our favorite local businesses.

1 Like

Story

Due to an injury I am rehabbing, I started the group run at 8am so I could finish and enjoy breakfast with everyone else. Beautiful morning! Group pictures can be found in the group run post thread.

Shop Local

Breakfast of raspberries and a tuna sandwich hit the spot from Greenstar.

5 Likes

@heathercobb3 Gorgeous photos! I love this spot so much

1 Like

Apparently, there’s an osprey nest out on the point somewhere. I need to look for it on my next run there.

Story

Here’s a run report inspired by Lin-Manuel Miranda. It mostly wrote itself while I was running, and I double checked to the content to ensure historical accuracy.

Lace up the shoes as a runners club Challenger

Writing these Discourse stories like I’m JD Salinger.

Gonna cruise right along, make no mistake

'Cuz time is of the essence on my 60-minute lunch break.

Step out the door, on the waterfront like Brando

GPS locked in, now let’s see how the plan goes

Depart down the sidewalk, check the pace, check the rhyme

Heart starts pumping blood in three-quarters time.

Take it in, the sights smells and sounds,

Oh s*#%, my mind slipped, I just missed the turnaround!

Ran too far down the inlet, added a minute

At least I’m running for fun, not in it to win it.

Gotta drop the pace to get back on track

Focus the breathing, pick up the slack

Keep cruising south with the wind at my back

I just hit two miles in 14 flat.

Now north back to Cass, let’s see how long it lasts

Blast past the pups, then turn on the gas

Onto the gravel, slight loss in traction

I start to slip up and the speed drops a fraction

Round the curve, past the lake, then back down the shoreline

I’d eat miles all day if I just had more time

No wait, let’s set some facts straight

This effort’s controlled but the threshold is lactate.

Kick it on home to Island Health and Fitness

Then upload to Strava for y’all to bear witness

To one more Challenge effort, so easy in this town.

Just get out the door and cover the ground!

8 Likes

Story

I decided last night to attempt a hard run on this course this morning. I put out pretty much my maximal effort so am pleased with myself. Maybe I now don’t have to worry about running this course fast again…Phew!

Shop Local

Ran into Greenstar for some essentials after my run. So convenient!

2 Likes

That’s a smoking-fast 45:33, currently the fastest time for women and third overall. Nice!

2 Likes

Story

Parked at the Children’s Garden and made this a 3-armed run like South Hill last year. The new Black Diamond pavilion is really nice!

The pathways north of the marina were ridiculously packed, but I got a good view of the osprey so I guess it was worth it.

Shop Local

I had a bunch of errands downtown (hence my choice of run) and ate too small of a breakfast, so I grabbed lunch at Wegmans.

1 Like

Story

I was feeling all the feels this morning on my run. The recent vehicle break in at Taughannock brought back terrible feelings of when my car was broken into at Cass Park several months ago. It weighed heavily on my mind. I eventually settled into my run where I enjoyed the daffodils and numerous birds (was that an osprey perched atop the nest in the Treman Stare Marine Park?!), including red wing blackbirds and numerous flocks of goslings. I set a 10K PR earlier in the week and thought I had the opportunity to do it again on this flat course.

Shop Local

I enjoyed a Peach Power smoothie at Green Star post run!

Story

there are always signs -well, this wasn’t quite on the trail but almost.
HOT day for a run!

Shop Local

after my run I went into Greenstar to buy oranges - I’m trying to lure that Baltimore Oriole that I’ve seen twice now back to my yard. Hung half an orange in my flowering apple tree

success!

7 Likes

Story

I didn’t quite succeed at timing my run between showers but the cooler temperatures today sure make for better challenge attempts than last week’s!

Story

I decided to try out the waterfront trail today before the heat set in this weekend. It was a gorgeous trail especially by the water and the cool breeze made it so pleasant.

Shop Local

After the run we stopped by Island Health for a short workout and my daughter chose a protein smoothie from their cooler.

1 Like

Story

I had to drop Phoebe the Rabbit off at the vet for a vaccination this morning, so I used the opportunity to do this course on the way home. I thought I’d beat the heat of the day but I didn’t beat the humidity! I’d never been on the north part of this course and it was beautiful. Hardly anyone else out, so the trails were nice and empty. Fewer people for me to sweat on!

Shop Local

I parked in the Greenstar parking lot so dashed in after my run to get a mango juice. Man, that was refreshing.

1 Like

Story

Well, it was a hot and humid day to run this course, and I got started later than I wanted, so I decided to run the “hottest” part first, so I’d benefit from the lake breezes as the temp climbed during the run. I parked at the Children’s Garden and did the Greenstar leg first, then ran down Floral Ave, and saved the marina loop for last. It also meant I got to check on the progress of the yurt that is going up this summer at ICG (I’m the the board and we can’t wait for what this means for kids’ programming all year). Down at the marina, I saw an osprey perched atop the tallest tree on the lake side where I’ve often seen a bald eagle. The other osprey was in the nest.

Shop Local

On my way home, I swung by Agway for some container plants as well as tick tubes and tangle-foot tree wrap and sticky goo to control the spongy moth caterpillar infestation. Here’s hoping it works!

1 Like

Story

Perfect running weather today after yesterday’s rain! I did not see any other challengers on the course, but I had the company of the Cornell rowing team and my most consistent training partners… the geese! :duck: :rofl:

2 Likes

Story

Well, my left hamstring is toast after the Thom B on Sunday (my first trail race ever, so much fun, but how to people run THAT fast on the downhill of a trail run?!??). I had planned to attempt the Long Loomis this week, but my friend convinced me to run a flat, easy 5 miles today.

I decided to give the Inlet Course a go, with the intention of seeing how I felt as to whether or not I would complete the entire course. I parked on the West side of the inlet, across from Cayuga Health & Fitness and headed South along the inlet toward Floral Ave. I then ran to the start/finish sign near Green Star and back. On the Treman Loop, I mixed it up again by staying to the right and running counter clockwise.

My first few strides were brutal, but then I settled into a rhythm. I had many negative thoughts wondering how I’m going to get enough trail miles in to prepare for the Fingerlakes 50s 25K, but if I end up injured then I’ll be behind in my other running challenges, and what about the Gorges Half …… and on and on and on for 6.2 miles.

Run complete, almost 6 minutes slower than my PR from a couple of weeks ago, but I accomplished what I set out to do today.

2 Likes

Story

Beautiful morning on the Inlet trail. Lots of adorable baby geese.

Shop Local

Ready to “bulk up” after our run.
IMG_2018

1 Like

Story

This morning, when it stopped raining, it was perfect running weather. So, I decided to run 10 miles, incorporating the Inlet Shore Trail course. The most exciting part of the run was meeting this big turtle on the Treman Park Lake Loop!

Or is it a tortoise, reminding us of the Tortoise & Hare race coming up? :wink: I’d say second-coolest wildlife encounter after that massive beaver I saw on the Jim Schug Trail! The turtle was kind enough to pose for the picture, though!

Shop Local

I’m headed to GreenStar to pick up some groceries and then to the Finger Lakes Running store to pick up my BIB for the Gorges Ithaca Half Marathon and buy some more running gear.

1 Like

Story

wish we had a passenger train

Shop Local

kale from Greenstar