Inlet Shore Trail Star Posts

Use this topic for posts to collect “Community Stars” for the Inlet Shore Trail course.

Here’s how it works.

• Click the “Post Using This Template” button below to create a new post with Story and Shop Local headings and boilerplate text.
  • Replace the boilerplate text with your report for one or both sections. If you’re collecting only one star, delete the other heading and text. The headers are key—don’t change them.
  • You can collect a maximum of 1 point per course per day for each of the two sections.
  • Your post must be on the same calendar day as your run as entered in Webscorer.

Story

To pick up a community star, replace this text with something like a write-up of how your run went, a photo you took on the run, or a link to your Strava track. If you only want to share how you supported a local business, delete this Story header and text.

Shop Local

For another community star, if you got breakfast or a snack, or supported some other local business associated with your run, replace this text with the details about what and where! If you only want to share your story, delete this Shop Local header and text.

Story

Fun day to be running the inlet. I saw plenty of people and their canine companions, and didn’t get heckled by geese too much. One thing to keep an eye out for are drivers exiting the Marina parking area as you’re entering/leaving the northern-most loop.

Shop Local

Afterwards I stopped over at Finger Lakes Running Company for some more Huma+ gels.

1 Like

Story

As part of my preparation (punishment?) for the Seneca 7 next weekend, I was tasked with running a doubleheader today. The inlet trail was part two, and it was pretty glorious modulo a brisk southerly wind. The sun was shining and the temperature perfect though, so it was a nice counterpoint to the Lansing Trails this morning.

Shop Local

Dropped into Green Star for an Easter egg-colored smoothie drink.

3 Likes

Story

My 2nd challenge run of the year. Ran with Amanda and said hello to Jesse midway and chatted with Caitlin and Jamie (about to start theirs) at the end. Glad the course was simplified from the prior layout.

2 Likes

Story

Ran with my husband, Jamie this morning. Fun to see Amanda and Arron King just finishing when we were starting.There was quite a head wind and we ran into a detour coming back after crossing the pedestrian bridge – the detour wasn’t there heading out. Since they hadn’t yet started work we were able to jump over/duck under the detour tape to finish the actual course but doubt this will be possible for the rest of the day so beware.

Shop Local

Yeah, Thursday at Greenstar! I cleverly remembered to bring my bulk containers and took advantage of the 10% discount on bulk purchases for members on Thursday. This may just become a regular run/shop on Thursday mornings.

Story

Oops - I just posted under my wife Caitlin’s account! Here goes for my account…
My first Challenge Run and I liked the fact that it ended up being a 10K. Despite the headwind from the south my wife and I ran 9:00 miles which is fast for me.

Shop Local

And after the run we went to GreenStar. They still have organic oranges so we stocked up and got three bags!

1 Like

Story

I set out to run at a nice easy pace maybe with some strides in the middle, but turns out I wanted to run faster. After mile 2 around 7:30 pace, I decided to go for it and thus the second half was less of an accidental fast run. I also ran past what I think was the end of a rowing competition as I went around Cass park near the marina on the way out. There was at least one tent with a school name on it and plenty of floating things in the water, but no boats (other than a random kayak or two). I got pretty tired as I finished as was momentarily regretting my decision to run 7:20s.

2 Likes

Story

I had planned to do this and then planned to not do it because I wanted to be home to say goodbye when my son headed off on a class trip for the day. But, then the morning arrived and I realized I could text him goodbye and enjoy the run! I chose that and headed down for what turned out to be a super fun run with Tonya, Carolyn, and Laurel. We didn’t quite follow the route (just a smidge off somewhere) but got the mileage and caught up. It has been so long since Mithacal Milers that we all did, so it was fun to remember those days and celebrate the chance to be out on this lovely warm morning running with others!

Shop Local

After the run we headed off to GreenStar to grab something. I chose some green juice and some nice conversation before heading over to FLX Fitclub to take a barre class. Great Sunday am fun!

2 Likes

Story

Talk about a glorious group run—fabulous weather, amiable company with a bunch of new faces, a scenic course, and post-run breakfast with friendly runners. I mostly ran with @billwatson and Patrick and Michael, but because of all the turns and repeats, we got to see others throughout, including @sryan004 and @bob-congdon, who started early. @heathercobb3 will have more photos because she did a great job of rounding everyone up at the end, but here’s one of her and (right to left) @tonya-engst and @amy-dawson.

Shop Local

My first star in this category—we got breakfast burritos and sandwiches at GreenStar. Their made-to-order counter isn’t open until 11, but they make hot breakfast sandwiches and put them in a Hot Bar display case. The turkey sausage and egg sandwich on whole wheat was tasty, and I discovered that they’re storing the single-server chocolate milk in the beverage case to the right as you walk in, right by the produce (not in the dairy cooler). Afterward, about 12 of us gathered at the picnic tables to eat and chat for another half hour or so.

2 Likes

Story

I was nervous about this run because of the distance, but I persuaded @caroline-brockner to walk the first and last half miles with me, and we planned to start a little early. When I got there, I learned that @amy-dawson and @lgilmer wanted to try this as well. We set out a little early. I got RunGo working on my watch, scanned in with Webscorer, and started Apple Workout (I always use Apple Workout because I’m participating in some health research studies). And then… I ran and ran and ran and it felt great. I was pretty sure it was maybe a little fast, but the sun was out, the conversation convivial, the water sparkling. At some point Amy or Caroline said that we were doing 9:30 miles, which I felt was probably impossible for me right now so I stopped listening for information like that since I thought it would make me overthink my speed. We criss-crossed with faster and slower runners a few time - it was very community-like. Around 4 miles in, it started to get kind of hard and Laurel and I dropped back a little. Somewhere near the end, the four of us took a wrong turn (I now understand how I misinterpreted RunGo), so we were a little short in distance, so we just ran a little farther toward the Farmers Market before ending. What a fun run! @adamengst and I are strongly considering a Sunday Taughnnock course run next Sunday and then the following weekend it may be a Saturday run (by @heathercobb3) at Hammond Hill for Thom B. preview and/or challenge.

If this works right, here is my Strava link:

https://www.strava.com/activities/7034535030/embed/115b85e44223b0105647a2d6f2cfa5f86d665ecb

Shop Local

Post-run, I got a breakfast burrito at Greenstar. After eating, Adam and I went back into Greenstar and bought things like ham and maple syrup and spent $$ to support one of our favorite local businesses.

1 Like

Story

Due to an injury I am rehabbing, I started the group run at 8am so I could finish and enjoy breakfast with everyone else. Beautiful morning! Group pictures can be found in the group run post thread.

Shop Local

Breakfast of raspberries and a tuna sandwich hit the spot from Greenstar.

5 Likes

@heathercobb3 Gorgeous photos! I love this spot so much

1 Like

Apparently, there’s an osprey nest out on the point somewhere. I need to look for it on my next run there.

Story

Here’s a run report inspired by Lin-Manuel Miranda. It mostly wrote itself while I was running, and I double checked to the content to ensure historical accuracy.

Lace up the shoes as a runners club Challenger

Writing these Discourse stories like I’m JD Salinger.

Gonna cruise right along, make no mistake

'Cuz time is of the essence on my 60-minute lunch break.

Step out the door, on the waterfront like Brando

GPS locked in, now let’s see how the plan goes

Depart down the sidewalk, check the pace, check the rhyme

Heart starts pumping blood in three-quarters time.

Take it in, the sights smells and sounds,

Oh s*#%, my mind slipped, I just missed the turnaround!

Ran too far down the inlet, added a minute

At least I’m running for fun, not in it to win it.

Gotta drop the pace to get back on track

Focus the breathing, pick up the slack

Keep cruising south with the wind at my back

I just hit two miles in 14 flat.

Now north back to Cass, let’s see how long it lasts

Blast past the pups, then turn on the gas

Onto the gravel, slight loss in traction

I start to slip up and the speed drops a fraction

Round the curve, past the lake, then back down the shoreline

I’d eat miles all day if I just had more time

No wait, let’s set some facts straight

This effort’s controlled but the threshold is lactate.

Kick it on home to Island Health and Fitness

Then upload to Strava for y’all to bear witness

To one more Challenge effort, so easy in this town.

Just get out the door and cover the ground!

8 Likes

Story

I decided last night to attempt a hard run on this course this morning. I put out pretty much my maximal effort so am pleased with myself. Maybe I now don’t have to worry about running this course fast again…Phew!

Shop Local

Ran into Greenstar for some essentials after my run. So convenient!

2 Likes

That’s a smoking-fast 45:33, currently the fastest time for women and third overall. Nice!

2 Likes

Story

Parked at the Children’s Garden and made this a 3-armed run like South Hill last year. The new Black Diamond pavilion is really nice!

The pathways north of the marina were ridiculously packed, but I got a good view of the osprey so I guess it was worth it.

Shop Local

I had a bunch of errands downtown (hence my choice of run) and ate too small of a breakfast, so I grabbed lunch at Wegmans.

1 Like

Story

I was feeling all the feels this morning on my run. The recent vehicle break in at Taughannock brought back terrible feelings of when my car was broken into at Cass Park several months ago. It weighed heavily on my mind. I eventually settled into my run where I enjoyed the daffodils and numerous birds (was that an osprey perched atop the nest in the Treman Stare Marine Park?!), including red wing blackbirds and numerous flocks of goslings. I set a 10K PR earlier in the week and thought I had the opportunity to do it again on this flat course.

Shop Local

I enjoyed a Peach Power smoothie at Green Star post run!

Story

there are always signs -well, this wasn’t quite on the trail but almost.
HOT day for a run!

Shop Local

after my run I went into Greenstar to buy oranges - I’m trying to lure that Baltimore Oriole that I’ve seen twice now back to my yard. Hung half an orange in my flowering apple tree

success!

7 Likes