Inlet Shore Trail Star Posts

Story

I didn’t quite succeed at timing my run between showers but the cooler temperatures today sure make for better challenge attempts than last week’s!

Story

I decided to try out the waterfront trail today before the heat set in this weekend. It was a gorgeous trail especially by the water and the cool breeze made it so pleasant.

Shop Local

After the run we stopped by Island Health for a short workout and my daughter chose a protein smoothie from their cooler.

1 Like

Story

I had to drop Phoebe the Rabbit off at the vet for a vaccination this morning, so I used the opportunity to do this course on the way home. I thought I’d beat the heat of the day but I didn’t beat the humidity! I’d never been on the north part of this course and it was beautiful. Hardly anyone else out, so the trails were nice and empty. Fewer people for me to sweat on!

Shop Local

I parked in the Greenstar parking lot so dashed in after my run to get a mango juice. Man, that was refreshing.

1 Like

Story

Well, it was a hot and humid day to run this course, and I got started later than I wanted, so I decided to run the “hottest” part first, so I’d benefit from the lake breezes as the temp climbed during the run. I parked at the Children’s Garden and did the Greenstar leg first, then ran down Floral Ave, and saved the marina loop for last. It also meant I got to check on the progress of the yurt that is going up this summer at ICG (I’m the the board and we can’t wait for what this means for kids’ programming all year). Down at the marina, I saw an osprey perched atop the tallest tree on the lake side where I’ve often seen a bald eagle. The other osprey was in the nest.

Shop Local

On my way home, I swung by Agway for some container plants as well as tick tubes and tangle-foot tree wrap and sticky goo to control the spongy moth caterpillar infestation. Here’s hoping it works!

1 Like

Story

Perfect running weather today after yesterday’s rain! I did not see any other challengers on the course, but I had the company of the Cornell rowing team and my most consistent training partners… the geese! :duck: :rofl:

2 Likes

Story

Well, my left hamstring is toast after the Thom B on Sunday (my first trail race ever, so much fun, but how to people run THAT fast on the downhill of a trail run?!??). I had planned to attempt the Long Loomis this week, but my friend convinced me to run a flat, easy 5 miles today.

I decided to give the Inlet Course a go, with the intention of seeing how I felt as to whether or not I would complete the entire course. I parked on the West side of the inlet, across from Cayuga Health & Fitness and headed South along the inlet toward Floral Ave. I then ran to the start/finish sign near Green Star and back. On the Treman Loop, I mixed it up again by staying to the right and running counter clockwise.

My first few strides were brutal, but then I settled into a rhythm. I had many negative thoughts wondering how I’m going to get enough trail miles in to prepare for the Fingerlakes 50s 25K, but if I end up injured then I’ll be behind in my other running challenges, and what about the Gorges Half …… and on and on and on for 6.2 miles.

Run complete, almost 6 minutes slower than my PR from a couple of weeks ago, but I accomplished what I set out to do today.

2 Likes

Story

Beautiful morning on the Inlet trail. Lots of adorable baby geese.

Shop Local

Ready to “bulk up” after our run.
IMG_2018

1 Like

Story

This morning, when it stopped raining, it was perfect running weather. So, I decided to run 10 miles, incorporating the Inlet Shore Trail course. The most exciting part of the run was meeting this big turtle on the Treman Park Lake Loop!

Or is it a tortoise, reminding us of the Tortoise & Hare race coming up? :wink: I’d say second-coolest wildlife encounter after that massive beaver I saw on the Jim Schug Trail! The turtle was kind enough to pose for the picture, though!

Shop Local

I’m headed to GreenStar to pick up some groceries and then to the Finger Lakes Running store to pick up my BIB for the Gorges Ithaca Half Marathon and buy some more running gear.

1 Like

Story

wish we had a passenger train

Shop Local

kale from Greenstar

Story

Ben and I decided to further procrastinate packing our stuff by going on a run (me)/bike ride + outdoor gym (Ben) on the Inlet Shore trail course. Nothing better than running away from my responsibilities :rofl:

My most consistent training partners—the geese—were out in full force!

Shop Local

We conveniently ended the workout at Purity where I literally dipped my face in whipped cream :icecream:

2 Likes

Story

Kieran’s training plan called for a 10K this morning so I told him I knew the perfect place. We dropped Jamie off at the office downtown (as one of our cars is in the shop), and headed to the Inlet shore. Our rather uneventful run passed quickly thanks to our stimulating conversation. I wish Jamie could have joined us but the CDC took precedence.

Shop Local

Made a trip into Greenstar after our run to bulk up, since it is Thursday :wink:

2 Likes

Story

this morning saw deer, Osprey, and lots of rowers!

Shop Local

apricots from Greenstar!

1 Like

Story

I had to pick up gear for the track meet from @gary at FLRC’s storage unit downtown, so afterward I parked by the Aeroplane Factory building and ran the Inlet Shore Trail starting just across the Rt 79 bridge. It’s the first time I’ve done it on my own, and it’s quite a mix of city and nature in one course. I think I saw the osprey (some bird at the top of the high-up nest) with my eyesight, it’s hard to know. Easier to identify were ducks—I’m good at ducks and they’re close up on the Floral Ave side of the trail.

Amusingly, @gary, who’s working on laddering up his mileage, was just finishing his run when I intersected with him again—he’d driven over to Cass Park for a different loop. I tried to keep my cadence high, but after about 5 miles that got pretty hard, even though I wasn’t going that fast.

Shop Local

When I was done, I drove over to GreenStar to get our Instacart order. Have to say, it’s awfully efficient to have someone else do the shopping and just swing by for a super-fast pickup.

Story

After dropping my kids at camp, I decided to try the inlet course again, it being in the 60s, rather than the 80s like last time! It was a gorgeous June day, with a strong headwind off the lake, so one half of the course was certainly more challenging than the other.

Story

Did the Inlet Trail today. It was VERY hot out. This is a fun, flat course that allows for more speed, but I felt like the heat had me hitting the wall pretty early. I’d like to try this one again earlier in the day.

Shop Local

My shop local experience was actually with Finger Lakes Running Company. I was in need of new trail runners so I picked up a pair of Salomon Sense Ride 4. I’m excited to break them in one some of the more trail based FLRC courses.

3 Likes

Story

Posting a few days after the fact… a beautiful breezy, sunny Saturday morning to run this flat pretty course! This course is the closest to home, so my bike ride was only a couple of miles and nearly all downhill so not much of a warm-up. Locked the bike at the community garden on Floral Ave and started/finished on the south turnaround. My hamstrings were super tight initially from so much weeding Friday but they limbered up. Dogged it on Inlet Island but glad that I had some push in the home stretch. Ospreys were fun to watch and listen to on the lake loop, with a blow-your-hat-off breeze out of the northwest kicking up white caps and wafting fishy smells off the shore. Biked home by retracing the Waterfront Trail to the osprey overlook and then took the BDT almost to Taughannock before doubling back home on West Hill to push the cyclometer over 22 miles.

Shop Local

Upon arrival home, I inhaled a few handfuls of fresh, cool blueberries from Kestrel Perch Berries which Tina had picked during the week. So refreshing, sweet, and tart!

1 Like

Story

I had already done a couple of easy runs on this course, but I wanted a faster time so I decided to do a tempo run. Cass Park is great for tempos because you can get into a groove without worrying about hills or cars. I averaged 6:14 pace. I checked my training log to compare this to previous similar workouts, and it turns out that exactly one year ago yesterday I did a 6-mile tempo on nearly the same course at 6:28 pace. After missing a lot of summer training due to injury it’s encouraging to see some long-term progress in my fitness. (Strava.)

1 Like

Story

After arriving to the Greenstar Coop parking lot (see East Hill Dryden Rail Trail post East Hill Dryden Rail Trail Star Posts - #41 by buhillrunner), I sat in the car and waited for a few minutes. It was definitely cloudy, but no rain was falling. I checked the radar again and realized the squall line had stayed more north of Ithaca, and the little southern bit that clipped Ithaca was probably the few seconds of sprinkles that fell while I was driving over. So I decided to head out.

Other than a mild spritz as I was approaching the turnaround point to the south, no rain fell. But it was WINDY. Clouds meant shade, which was very much appreciated. I completed this course with a run-for-8-counts/walk-for-8-counts approach, which is what I do when I’m beat but don’t want to walk it outright.

I enjoyed running this course as well and exploring more of the Inlet Shore Trail. It was a breezy and beautiful and I loved seeing ducks and even osprey? That’s what the tall nest and birds looked like anyway. So many monarch butterflies. There are some pretty cool areas there and how great for Ithaca to have this (and the various other pathways) in town for people to stay active on.

In the end, three courses in one day totaled 24.35 miles and I was very satisfied with this distance AND being down to just one course left: the Sweet 1600. I can do that course at the Binghamton University track once my legs have a day to recover.

But I was sooooo thirsty by the time I finished. I preceded to drink what was left of my fluids on the drive home, including any water and Tailwind Recovery. I came home to inhale a bunch of watermelon, vodka lime seltzer, and more ice water. When that cue to drink comes on, it’s amazing how powerful it can be. The reality is that I was likely dehydrated, but it’s challenging to stay fully hydrated during a heat advisory. I’ll make sure I keep taking in extra fluids today.

And one could argue that I didn’t need that vodka lime spritzer! But I earned that spritzer and it tasted divine! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Shop Local

I originally had good intentions of heading back to Eddydale’s for another dozen ears of sweet corn, another watermelon, and more peaches, but I was pretty beat. And I was in no shape to walk into Greenstar (I was literally a hot mess). I was also no longer getting home in time for my daughter’s soccer practice (or dinner). I finally made the call to get myself home, fed, hydrated, and not to mention, SHOWERED. But I loved Eddydale’s and will be back. (I am also still trying to get to South Hill Cider!)

2 Likes

Story

Our car, Wilbur, needed charging so I decided to shake things up a bit this morning and started the course at the dog park, after plugging Wilbur into the free charging station there. The morning started out warm and miserably humid but very quickly the wind of the coming cold front kicked in along with some misting rain. Boy did that feel good! By the time I entered Greenstar for my post -run shop, I was actually a tad cold!

Shop Local

Even though I didn’t park here this time, I still stopped at Greenstar on my way home for some of those delicious apricots @ruth-sproul posted about, as well as a lot of other groceries.

1 Like

Story

I did my second run of the inlet shore trail this morning, in an attempt to finish all the courses a second time by Sunday. When I ran it in May it was 40 degrees with 54% humidity, and sunny and windy. Today it was 74 degrees with 94% humidity, a headwind from the north, and some light rain. I saw a cat anus.

Unknown-1

I also saw prettier views than that.

Unknown

Since this route is so flat I decided to do a tiny speed workout – 8 x 2’ fast with 1’ rest. I was thinking 5K effort. I’m not very consistent with speed work and I wanted to quit after 4 reps, but I finished feeling good. This run was not as fast as my first time, but I’ll blame that on the weather rather than my fitness.

Shop Local

No local shopping occurred as I squeezed this in early before going to work! I did consume some cheese puffs later, though. Maybe not the best post-run fuel.

4 Likes