Jim Schug Trail Star Posts

Omg! You had me laughing! Run for chicken :joy:

Story

Did the Jim Schug 8 mile out and back. It was a nice morning for a run but a bit hot. Ran with a few ladies which was so nice as I usually run alone. Did not have my phone with me so I had to enter manually. Big snafu, for some reason it entered 3 times on webscorer and then my watch said something like 58 miles!! Hmmm do you think it’s the watch or the wearer :grin: Hopefully I’ll get it right next time!

Story

what a beautiful trail and we had nice cool weather to run the Jim Schug Trail. There must be a lot of industrious beavers that live here, we saw several beaver dams!

Shop Local

after our run we stopped by Pizza And Bones for subs, then walked back into the trail a short ways to sit on a bridge and eat our picnic lunch

1 Like

Story

A nice evening for a long run, even if it was a bit chilly. Heard plenty of birds, and saw a bald eagle on the lake. Not too busy, either.

Shop Local

Picked up some birdseed from Agway and a lovely young man carried the bags out to my car - unwarranted, but appreciated.

2 Likes

Story

Slowly making my way through the Challenge courses. This morning I ran the Jim Schug Trail. The course was pretty, and I especially enjoyed the wildflowers. I scared up at least 3 chipmunks or maybe they scared me? I also heard some frogs, and couldn’t help but wonder if I heard the same ones on the way back as I did on the way out.

After making it to work, I realized I forgot my gym bag at home. I spent the rest of the day marinating in my own stink, trying to avoid co-workers as much as possible. I think I may need to leave an ‘emergency’ bag in my office.

2 Likes

Story

Lovely run tonight with the Wednesday crowd. A massive beaver crossed our path! :beaver: Too bad that when I took my phone out to take a picture, he quickly disappeared. We also saw deers :deer: and squirrels of all sizes and colors :chipmunk:. So much wildlife around this trail!

Shop Local

After the run, we stopped at the Dryden Hotel for pizza :pizza: and beer :beers:

3 Likes

Story

Did the short part starting from the lake parking lot for the group run, and after snacks Jami and I did the longer part. It was :sunny: hot :sunny: . Considering our A races this year are ultras, we took the opportunity to work on our power hiking. We also saw Schug the bald eagle hanging out in a dead tree, a blue heron, and lots of turtles and frogs. This is a great course for wildlife spotting!

1 Like

Story

This was my first time running here. Nice lush green shady trees, pretty lake views, and many chirpy birds flitting around.

I got stuck for a little bit at 38 on the way back, with two large trucks going both ways, followed by a small line of cars… I even had enough time to snap a photo. Oh well, it gave me a brief rest before the last push to the finish.

I’d like to come back and do a more leisurely jog and stop at the lake to look for critters sometime instead of rushing through it. I hesitate at posting this finish line photo with my signature beet-red face, but I enjoy seeing everyone else’s faces up. here, so here you go!

2 Likes

Story

Another beautiful day on the Jim Schug Trail! The weather was perfect, especially after 7pm. The wildlife here is unbelievable. In 2 hours I saw:

• a mink crossing the path with a smaller rodent in its mouth
• a muskrat in one of the many little creeks running next to the trail
• a pug on a leash (it barked at me - rude)
• the cutest little eastern kingbird (see picture)
• Schug the bald eagle (see picture)
• a blue heron flying near the turn around
• 2 deer (I shouted HI DEAR at them)
• a big beaver crossing the path near where I saw the mink and the muskrat
• some weird moths mating (see picture)
• countless other birds

Shop Local

Even though the weather was wonderful, I was still sweating and hot at the finish, so I got an ice cream sundae from the place across from the butterfly garden.

3 Likes

Story

Nothing too interesting happened on the run so here’s a song that wrote itself while I was running. To the tune of Tom Petty’s “[You Wreck Me]”.

Tonight I’ll run, the Jim Schug Trail
Then head right home, to tell the tale
Rescue me, if I’m out all night
Alone in the woods, without a light

Ooo-oohhh, yeaaaa-eah
The rec way baby
It makes my muscles ache
But I love logging miles
Make no mistake

Tortoise shells, all across the ground
Like Sturgill sings, turtles all the way down
Dryden Lake, past the park
Gonna make it home, before dark

Ooo-oohhh, yeaaaa-eah
The rec way baby
It makes my muscles ache
But I love logging miles
Make no mistake

I’ll don my shoes, and Saucony shorts
And drive on down, to the Challenge course
Hit the trail, and have some fun
Scan the sign, the Challenge is done

Ooo-oohhh, yeaaaa-eah
The rec way baby
It makes my muscles ache
But I love logging miles
Make no mistake

The rec way baby
Makes my poor legs ache
But I love logging mileage
Make no mistake

5 Likes

Story

I once again got all the way to the trail head and realized I forgot my shoes. Recently I had been trying to be a Responsible Adult™️ and clean my car out after every run, but I had left my shoes in there for so long that I forget I take them out and just assume they’re in my car.

Either way, it wasn’t a long drive back to my apartment, just annoying. I parked on Weber Street to avoid the longer walk from street parking in Dryden, and ran northwest to the start sign, then back past my car in the usual direction. Once again saw a ton of wildlife, from various birds (cardinals, an oriole, flickers - my favorite bird), a snake, a big frog, Schug the bald eagle, and a turtle. I had hoped I would catch some turtles hatching, but there were so many holes with turtle shells around them, I think I missed them again this year.

1 Like

Story

What a gorgeous trail! This was my first time on it (other than the leg by the lake for the women’s distance festival) and it felt like I was on vacation! Reminded me of a bike path/running route in Cape Cod that I love. I saw so many animals, highlights being a bald eagle wrestling with a 2-3’ carp (some kind birders let me use their binoculars to take a look), and a family of merganser ducks with 8 little babies, all mohawked and quacking! I also saw a baby rabbit the size of a chipmunk, and nearly stepped on several chipmunks as well.

Shop Local

On my way back, I stopped ad Bigsby Market for some fresh local strawberries, rhubarb, garlic scapes, and perennials. Can’t wait for dinner tonight, and to see the lupine and delphinium bloom this summer!

1 Like

Story

A lovely day for a fast run. And during my warm down I noticed a crowd of people a few streets away from Agway. Much to my surprise Dryden is hosting a festival. There was the cow day run and lots of little contests and sweet things to do, especially with little children. It’s in the park behind the Dryden hotel.

Shop Local

Make sure you get some cheese from the dairy princesses!

1 Like

Today is Dryden Dairy Days! I went to Dryden High and had to march in the parade for band every year. You knew when the school year was winding down because the last few weeks we’d be out in the back parking lot marching around practicing.

We also marched in the Memorial Day parade, but Dairy Days was more fun because we got to wear fun clothes and play fun songs.

1 Like

Story

Lovely group run with a nice crowd this evening! I was happy to chat with @MattBish and get to know @mtread :smiley:

It was HOT :hot_face: and the bugs were definitely having a party out there but I was glad to see the trail and the lake with the sun, since last time it was a bit rainy.

Shop Local

As it is tradition, the run ended with pizza and beer at the Dryden Hotel! Some people also had ice cream cause… why not?! Your Italian friend totally approves!

Story

Felt fine running out with @brian-lazzaro, @Dave_K, @JoshB, and @Banyan_Tree for the four miles out, and even for a mile after turning, and then the heat got to me. Josh and I dropped back a bit behind Dave and Brian, and Banyan is getting his legs back after mountain biking. By the time I made it back to the finish, I was feeling pretty rough. Happily, we’d packed the extra watermelon left over from Sunday’s group run and then…

Shop Local

@tonya-engst went across the street to the trophy/ice cream shop and returned with two scoops of strawberry and dark chocolate that revived me. Put me down for Team Ice Cream with @Benedetta_Carnaghi.

And then we headed over to the Dryden Hotel for pizza and beer and good company. Among the discussions: Is it better to power walk up a super steep hill in a race rather than running? Is even a tiny lollipop course better than a straight out-and-back course? How can you get students to turn on their cameras during class Zooms? Does epigenetics play a role in insect phenotypes? Apparently not. Learn something every day. Similarly, thanks to @mtread, I learned that the US Patent & Trademark Office is the only self-funded (through filing fees) department in the US government, thanks in large part to handling 400,000 patents per year.

1 Like

OMG you have such a good memory, Adam, and you are such a fantastic writer! Team ice cream all the way :icecream::icecream::icecream:

1 Like

Story

Enjoyed a lovely hike with @raenb0 this morning. The chill in the air must’ve kept the wildlife in bed. @steen joined us for a few miles as well.

2 Likes

Story

A good evening for a stroll on the trail. Got into a verbal altercation with the owner of an off leash dog. Saw deer, heard lots of birds, a garter snake was sunning itself on the trail, and there a few equestrians out for a stroll as well.

2 Likes

At least you’re less likely to be bitten than in an altercation with the off-leash dog itself! But growling works in both cases. :slight_smile: