Jim Schug Trail Star Posts

Use this topic for posts to collect “Community Stars” for the Jim Schug Trail course.

Here’s how it works.

• Click the “Post Using This Template” button below to create a new post with Story and Shop Local headings and boilerplate text.
  • Replace the boilerplate text with your report for one or both sections. If you’re collecting only one star, delete the other heading and text. The headers are key—don’t change them.
  • You can collect a maximum of 1 point per course per day for each of the two sections.
  • Your post must be on the same calendar day as your run as entered in Webscorer.

Story

To pick up a community star, replace this text with something like a write-up of how your run went, a photo you took on the run, or a link to your Strava track. If you only want to share how you supported a local business, delete this Story header and text.

Shop Local

For another community star, if you got breakfast or a snack, or supported some other local business associated with your run, replace this text with the details about what and where! If you only want to share your story, delete this Shop Local header and text.

Story

Had to head to Dryden to sign the lease on my apartment, so I met Jami to complete this course. Along the way we ran into @catmassa on a walk with her dog and husband. We also saw 2 beavers, a kingfisher, and a common merganser.

2 Likes

Story

Believe it or not in 25 years of living in Ithaca this was the first time I’ve ever run this trail and my first time to Dryden Lake. We saw deer, sheep, a blue heron, lots of red-winged blackbirds, some ducks and even a bald eagle!!!

Shop Local

Stepped into Agway for some gladiolus bulbs but they didn’t have any! Made due with a flat of marigolds instead.

1 Like

Story

I saw this bald eagle at the one mile mark on the Jim Shrug trail. There is a small body of water on the right side and this eagle was on the south side of the trail and the east side of the body of water. Fun!
Jamie
IMG_1976

1 Like

Story

'Hi all! I wanted to flag a couple of things about the Jim Schug course - especially if you aren’t using the RunGo app with all of the reminders about being careful at road crossings.

1. Please be prepared to actually stop at the busy road crossing early on in the course at Route 38. This is highlighted in the course directions but I did have to actually stop (very briefly) 2 of the 4 times I crossed this morning

2. Note that almost right after you cross Route 38, there is another road crossing at Weber street. It could be easy to sort of space out and not look carefully so soon after a road crossing - at least it was for me though fortunately I stopped in time when I saw a car coming and it also stopped.

3. I highly recommend running the course starting at the suggested starting point by Agway. It makes for a basically unnoticeable uphill on the way out and a very slight downhill on the way back. I feel like I would have really felt that slight uphill if I ran the course in reverse!

4. There were a couple of spots where my watch got wonky and told me I was going slower than I actually was - especially in the beginning 1/2 mile. This led to a quicker than planned first mile for me this morning (oops!). I figured I’d mention this in case anyone glances at their watch during the first mile and sees something that looks off.

1 Like

Story

I was expecting a slog this morning – I don’t do well on the long, straight, nothing to look at runs (no wildlife luck for me today, other than ducks, geese, and fishermen) – so I brought music (a rarity) which definitely helped pass the time.

I parked at the small lot (4-5 spaces) on Chaffee Rd (near Dryden Lake Park), to break up the monotony and so that I could have an aid station half-way through, since the temperature was rising pretty quickly already. That worked well, breaking the 8 miler up into 4 sections (2.25 + 2.25 out & back, followed by 1.75 + 1.75 out & back) – highly recommended.

Shop Local

Our bell pepper seeds didn’t do great this year, and our go-to Bakers Acres is no more, so I stopped by the TST BOCES Plant Sale on the way home for some seedlings – not the biggest selection/variety left, but I got what we needed for a great deal, supporting the students and their hard work!

Also some sort of joke about picking a (6) pack of (unpickled) peppers.

1 Like

Story

I caught the 43 TCAT and point to point I was at the trail head in about 25 minutes. This morning the trail conditions were outstanding with birds chirping, chipmunks and red squirrels guarding the trail and possibly a frog here or there serenading as well.

1 Like

Story

Drizzly evening, seemed like it would be cool, but it was humid and I was sweaty. Saw a beaver, and some ducks. Not many humans on the trail.

Shop Local

Had pizza at the Dryden Hotel after.

1 Like

Story

This was my first time on the Jim Schug Trail! @amy-dawson and I planned a late afternoon run today. and the first few miles were hot and arduous. Tired legs didn’t help. As I got to the water, though, my mood turned positive: it was so beautiful! I thought it cruel to be able to see the turnaround sign about a half-mile in advance, but soon I turned around, enjoyed a Chocolate Coconut Gu to recharge myself, and hurried back. The return trip seemed easier, perhaps due to the Gu or because it’s marginally downhill, maybe? Ran into @AnaR who was running the course the same time we were. Nice to meet fellow challengers! Note to self: road shoes not the best on this trail, I would have been happier with trail shoes.

Shop Local

We stopped in at BJs to get some sundries and then beat a path to Liquid State. Mac 'n cheese, fried chicken, and fries as post-run replenishment? Yes, please. Tried a Local Vibe in lieu of my standard Liquid Crush, but next time I’ll stick to the Crush. They’re both good, though! Bonus points: we saw @Petorius and Hayley and their kids there!

Story

After baking and doing school work for much of this beautiful, sunny Sunday, @scottpdawson and I headed over to check out the Jim Schug trail! I sometimes forget to respect the distance of 8 miles - it doesn’t sound super long, but I was thirsty and tired and it felt a little sloggy. My motto after my conversation while running with @kristina.harrisonsav yesterday at the group run was “I run for chicken!” Scott and I planned to hit Liquid State for Silo and beer after.

Once I hit the Women’s Distance start area I was inspired - the lake was lovely and then I settled into my running. I can’t see myself doing this too often, but it was a fun run. On the way back, I stopped and took a picture.

Shop Local

After our run, off went went to Liquid State. It was a perfect end to our day!

1 Like

Omg! You had me laughing! Run for chicken :joy:

Story

Did the Jim Schug 8 mile out and back. It was a nice morning for a run but a bit hot. Ran with a few ladies which was so nice as I usually run alone. Did not have my phone with me so I had to enter manually. Big snafu, for some reason it entered 3 times on webscorer and then my watch said something like 58 miles!! Hmmm do you think it’s the watch or the wearer :grin: Hopefully I’ll get it right next time!

Story

what a beautiful trail and we had nice cool weather to run the Jim Schug Trail. There must be a lot of industrious beavers that live here, we saw several beaver dams!

Shop Local

after our run we stopped by Pizza And Bones for subs, then walked back into the trail a short ways to sit on a bridge and eat our picnic lunch

1 Like

Story

A nice evening for a long run, even if it was a bit chilly. Heard plenty of birds, and saw a bald eagle on the lake. Not too busy, either.

Shop Local

Picked up some birdseed from Agway and a lovely young man carried the bags out to my car - unwarranted, but appreciated.

2 Likes

Story

Slowly making my way through the Challenge courses. This morning I ran the Jim Schug Trail. The course was pretty, and I especially enjoyed the wildflowers. I scared up at least 3 chipmunks or maybe they scared me? I also heard some frogs, and couldn’t help but wonder if I heard the same ones on the way back as I did on the way out.

After making it to work, I realized I forgot my gym bag at home. I spent the rest of the day marinating in my own stink, trying to avoid co-workers as much as possible. I think I may need to leave an ‘emergency’ bag in my office.

2 Likes

Story

Lovely run tonight with the Wednesday crowd. A massive beaver crossed our path! :beaver: Too bad that when I took my phone out to take a picture, he quickly disappeared. We also saw deers :deer: and squirrels of all sizes and colors :chipmunk:. So much wildlife around this trail!

Shop Local

After the run, we stopped at the Dryden Hotel for pizza :pizza: and beer :beers:

3 Likes

Story

Did the short part starting from the lake parking lot for the group run, and after snacks Jami and I did the longer part. It was :sunny: hot :sunny: . Considering our A races this year are ultras, we took the opportunity to work on our power hiking. We also saw Schug the bald eagle hanging out in a dead tree, a blue heron, and lots of turtles and frogs. This is a great course for wildlife spotting!

1 Like

Story

This was my first time running here. Nice lush green shady trees, pretty lake views, and many chirpy birds flitting around.

I got stuck for a little bit at 38 on the way back, with two large trucks going both ways, followed by a small line of cars… I even had enough time to snap a photo. Oh well, it gave me a brief rest before the last push to the finish.

I’d like to come back and do a more leisurely jog and stop at the lake to look for critters sometime instead of rushing through it. I hesitate at posting this finish line photo with my signature beet-red face, but I enjoy seeing everyone else’s faces up. here, so here you go!

2 Likes

Story

Another beautiful day on the Jim Schug Trail! The weather was perfect, especially after 7pm. The wildlife here is unbelievable. In 2 hours I saw:

• a mink crossing the path with a smaller rodent in its mouth
• a muskrat in one of the many little creeks running next to the trail
• a pug on a leash (it barked at me - rude)
• the cutest little eastern kingbird (see picture)
• Schug the bald eagle (see picture)
• a blue heron flying near the turn around
• 2 deer (I shouted HI DEAR at them)
• a big beaver crossing the path near where I saw the mink and the muskrat
• some weird moths mating (see picture)
• countless other birds

Shop Local

Even though the weather was wonderful, I was still sweating and hot at the finish, so I got an ice cream sundae from the place across from the butterfly garden.

3 Likes