RunGo Frustrations

I continue to struggle with RunGo, and pouring through the app, their website, and googling the issue hasn’t helped he figure it out. Straight to the point, what I hoped to be able to do was download all the challenge courses ahead of time so that they could be accessed offline. That way if there is no cell signal, it still shows up in a list of available routes.

When I hit “view in app”, I get a screen that allows me to “download” the course. My assumption was that it was storing an offline copy of this course on my phone. Intuitively, I would then expect it to show up in the “saved routes” or even “routes nearby” list, but it doesn’t. Nothing shows up in these lists unless I have a data connection. When you are at a location like Hammond or Taughannock, I rarely get a good enough signal for this to work. Three weeks ago I had to drive all the way back into Trumansburg to redownload the Run Rabbit Run course and last week I had to leave Hammond Hill and drive halfway back to Dryden before I could get that course downloaded again, costing me another 30 to 40 minutes. Is there someway to just make it so that the challenge course show up in saved routes regardless of internet connection. Am I just doing it wrong? Conversely, when I do have a good connection, the “saved routes” list is flooded with a bunch of routes I have never downloaded or used before. It doesn’t make any sense to me that these show up in my saved routes. Any tips or tricks would be appreciated.

Keeping in mind that I can’t really test this stuff live, here’s how I believe you’d go about downloading a course for offline use, at least in the iPhone version of the app. (In the past, I’ve only run one at a time, so I always download the course to my Apple Watch before I leave. But that doesn’t work for Ultra Challenge people.)

Your screens look way different than mine on the android. Are you using the premium version by chance?
These are what I see on Android.

I do have access to a premium account for the club, but RunGo on my iPhone isn’t logged into any account. It’s possible that the Android version simply doesn’t have the same feature set, but it sort of looks like it should.

Perhaps someone at the group run tomorrow will have an Android phone I can play with briefly to see if I can figure something out.

A solution that’s worked for me is to bring up the route in the app so it’s ready to use as soon as I hit the green Start button. I’ll do this at home or wherever I have cell service. This seems to queue the route in buffer mode so it will work properly after I lose service. I’ve done this many times at Hammond Hill without issue.

I use the iOS version, but based on your screen shots it looks like this aspect works the same way for Android. For this year’s courses I think Hammond is the only one where cell service is consistently lacking for me, but it should work the same way on any of them.

It’s probably too late now, but I’ve also shared downloadable .gpx files for the 5 trail courses in a separate post. You can load these to your watch or possibly some other phone app. Shared .gpx files for 2024 FLRC Challenge courses

1 Like