Sunday Skunkday Group Run (and workout) on 2/16 at 8:30 AM at Barton Hall

Once again, a frigid Friday should be followed by a chilly Saturday (will you brave the Black Diamond group run?), and a pretty reasonable Sunday, which means it’s time to get your Skunkday training in. Bring a friend! We’ll meet outside the doors to Barton, unless it’s open, at which point people will be inside where it’s warmer. Location details and the sign-it-once-for-2020 waiver at the bottom.

I’ve had some requests for workouts for those who want something a bit different than a simple long run. This workout progression won’t be nearly as structured as the Tuesday night MITHACAL MILERS track workouts, but it should help you run Skunk faster or more comfortably.

For this week, we’ll start with something simple. After your group turns off 366 onto Game Farm Road (which provides about 2 miles of warmup), pick up the pace a bit and hold it there for 3 minutes. We’re not talking race pace—just 20-30 seconds per mile faster than your easy pace. So if you’re running at an 8:30 pace, pick it up to about 8:00 pace for 3 minutes. Drop back to easy pace for 2 minutes for recovery, and then do another 3-minute pickup. That’s it—do the rest of the run at whatever your comfortable long run pace is. Any questions, just reply to this post.

See you Sunday!

Pace Poll

So everyone can make sure there will be others at their pace, please let us know what pace you’ll be running. I’ve tweaked the ranges based on last week’s answers (and I’ll tweak them again next week to add in more paces in the 12:00-minute range).

• 8:00-minute pace and under
  • 8:30-minute pace
  • 9:00-minute pace
  • 9:30-minute pace
  • 10:00-minute pace
  • 10:30-minute pace
  • 11:00-minute pace and slower

0 voters

Resources

@heathercobb3 Hi Heather, I’m interested in running a 12 -13 min pace by interspersing walks in my run. I run 3 -5 at 11 min pace, then walk a minute. Would you be interested in running together?

2 Likes

Megan Powers is coming too, and we are going to run 5-6 miles at a 10-minute pace (more or less, depending on mood). We might mix it up a little, route-wise. I am thinking out on Stevenson/Dodge and then looping back on Ellis Hollow and Game Farm and the East Hill recway. I think that’s almost exactly 6 miles from Barton Hall. And, I like loops. If that sounds like fun for you, please join us or run part with us!

That sounds like exactly what I’m looking for! I’d love to join you for the whole thing.

1 Like

Sorry this reply is so late, Sue! Yes I would love to run with you. I’m generally slower than you, but willing to put in some extra effort for some speed work! I am only planning on running 4 miles, though.

Great to see so many people—a whopping 32 this week—out again this morning. The weather was pretty much ideal for a February long run, and I hope everyone had a good one. I managed about 3 miles and am looking forward to when I can run the full distance with the group.