Sunday Skunkday group runs are back for 2023—see you Sunday, Feb 5th at 8:30 AM at Barton Hall

We’re counting down the weeks until the Skunk Cabbage Classic 10K and Half Marathon on April 2nd, and now is the perfect time to prepare by signing up for Skunk and increasing your long run distances. We’re here to help, with the return of FLRC’s Sunday Skunkday group runs. Check back here on the Group Runs category for details of each week’s run.

On Sundays from now until Skunk (assuming someone can greet the group on weekends when I have an FLRC race conflict), we’ll meet inside the front doors of Barton Hall (facing Teagle Hall, where the Skunk 10K starts) at 8:30 AM. Barton and its bathrooms should be open then; if not, we’ll meet right outside.

Everyone is welcome, even if you’re not an FLRC member or planning to run Skunk. Regardless, everyone must sign the FLRC Training Programs waiver once for 2023.

At 8:45 AM, we’ll split up into rough pace and distance groups and run the Skunk course, more or less. You can go as long or short as you want, and it’s fine to deviate from the course for different loops and distances. Here are some possibilities:

Please register in the pace and distance polls below so others can see they’ll have company. Click the icons under each answer to see who has voted.

• Sub-8:00-minute pace
  • 8:00-9:00-minute pace
  • 9:00-10:00-minute pace
  • 10:00-11:00-minute pace
  • 11:00-12:00-minute pace
  • 12:00-up-minute pace
  • Hiking pace

0 voters

• ~4 miles
  • ~6 miles
  • ~8 miles
  • ~10 miles
  • ~13 miles

0 voters

Unless there’s a big Cornell event, there’s usually plenty of free (on Sunday) parking in the Crescent Lot east of Schoellkopf Stadium or in Cornell’s parking garage.

Any questions, just ask. See you Sunday!

2 Likes

I am looking for a 6-7 mile run, and I feel that a “loop” is always better than a “line” (that is, running a loop is more fun than running an out-and-back). Thus, my plan (subject to being persuaded to try something different) is to run out on (mostly) the Skunk course almost to the halfway point and then to swing right on Dodge, up to Ellis Hollow, right on Ellis Hollow to a right on Game Farm, and then back to campus on the East Hill Recway.

I also feel that even though the Skunk course spends more time on 366, I like to spend less time on a big road, so I would run east along the B lot and then on the dirt farm roads unless they are too icy.