FLRC and MITHACAL MILERS workouts for the week of October 19th

Tuesday is looking wet again this week, though I’m hoping the rain lets up by our 5:30 PM workout time. To avoid the wet grass and mud, the MITHACAL MILERS workout that night will once again be in the bowl of the Cornell Arboretum (see the map below) so we can run on pavement. Remember, the workouts are free and open to all FLRC members, but you must register. Be ready to run at 5:30, or come find us on the hills if you’re late.

Middle Distance Workouts (5K to 15K)

• MITHACAL MILERS: We’re going to repeat our hill workout from a few weeks ago. The bowl of the Arboretum has five roads or trails leading up the hill, so what we’ll do is run all out up each hill (focusing on good form with the back straight), continue hard on the flat at the top for at least 10 strides, and then turn and jog back down on the grass next to the path (to avoid slower runners and lessen the impact). Then we’ll immediately move on to the next path and repeat for one pass through all the hills. When we finish the last hill, we’ll regroup and go into 10 minutes of jogging.

• Workout 2: Moneghetti Fartlek, named for Australian distance runner Steve Moneghetti. You’re going to run 2 by 90 seconds, 4 by 60 seconds, 4 by 30 seconds, and 4 by 15 seconds. The 90-second reps should be at I pace, and they should get faster from there, to the point where the 15-second reps are all out (what Jack Daniels would call F pace). Follow each fast rep with a “float” recovery (which means E pace, not a slow jog) of the same time. So, 90 seconds hard, 90 seconds float, 90 seconds hard, 90 seconds float, 60 seconds hard, 60 seconds float, and so on.

• Long Run: 25-30% of your weekly mileage at E pace

Long Distance Workouts (Half Marathon to Marathon)

• Workout 1: 20 minutes at M pace, 20 minutes at T pace, then 20 minutes more of M pace. 3 minutes of E-pace rest between each change of pace. Don’t forget the minimum of 10 minutes at E pace for a warmup and cooldown.

• Long Run: 25-30% of your weekly mileage at E pace

Resources

@mithacal-milers, remember that tonight’s workout will be in the bowl of the Cornell Arboretum! See you there, ready to start warming up at 5:30 PM.

Marathon workout yesterday felt pretty solid! https://strava.app.link/LMKgr5gmLab

Tweaked an ankle at mile 5 which threw off my sense of pace and somehow made me run… faster? Hmm…

Way to crush those paces, especially given the ankle and running on rougher surface!

At the @mithacal-milers workout, we had 9 people brave the heavy mist to run hills in the Arboretum. I’m really liking that workout because it’s hard, nicely broken up, and not repetitive given that you go up a different hill for every rep.

I hope we’ll have good weather for next week’s workout, which will probably be the last one for a bit given the loss of daylight. We’ll aim for another Ridiculous Relay, which was a ton of fun the last time.

1 Like