FLRC Challenge Taughannock Rim & Falls group run Sunday 5/1 at 8:30AM

Our Inlet Shore Trail was such a hit, with 27 people joining, that we’re doing it again. This coming Sunday, May 1st, we’ll run the Taughannock Rim & Falls course to take in the glorious waterfall views. It’s only about 4.6 miles, but anyone who wants more mileage can do it again, explore the additional trails off to the west, or run down and back on the Black Diamond Trail. If you aren’t signed up for the FLRC Challenge (don’t miss out!) or haven’t yet signed the FLRC Training Programs waiver already in 2022, please do one or the other.

We’ll meet at 8:30 AM at the Taughannock Falls Overlook Visitor’s Center, where the FLRC Challenge sign is located, and start running at 8:45 AM. We’re happy to help if you need assistance getting started with the Webscorer app on your phone.

Post-run breakfast and socializing is an option, but I’m hoping Trumansburg natives @scottpdawson and @amy-dawson can suggest a good spot since Trumansburg has many possibilities.

Please register in the poll below using your flat road pace so everyone can see if they’ll have pace partners. Given the hilly nature of this course, we’ll all be running proportionally slower than the paces listed. (Click the icons under each answer to see who has voted.) It’s an easy course, but RunGo directions are available, so there’s no worry about getting lost.

• Sub-8:00-minute pace
  • 8:00-9:00-minute pace
  • 9:00-10:00-minute pace
  • 10:00-11:00-minute pace
  • 11:00-12:00-minute pace
  • 12:00-13:00-minute pace
  • 13:00-and-up-minute pace

0 voters

Everyone is welcome, and hope to see you Sunday! If you need a ride out to Taughannock, reply here and we’ll find someone who can help.

This should be fun! I will probably walk most of the stairs up. @caroline-brockner @amy-dawson @lgilmer

@Rodney_Egli

@Jamie_Love and anyone else, I will be starting at 8am, same place.

Looking forward to this! For post-run breakfast, Falls Restaurant is the only breakfast place that really has indoor seating at the moment. As an alternative, @amy-dawson and I would like to offer our back deck at 113 Larchmont Drive in Trumansburg as a place to eat and socialize after the run. You can pick up whatever you’d like to eat or drink from Gimme Coffee (order online in advance, and they have good pastries, too), or Creekside Cafe for fantastic sandwiches (order online in advance). I can also brew a vat of Gimme Leftist here if you want your tall to be a venti! (Unfortunately, Trumansburg Main Street Market is closed Sundays and Mondays).

That’s lovely, thanks so much for hosting!

So, @Challengers, if you want to come on the group run this Sunday and bring some post-run food over to Scott and Amy’s, it sounds like a fabulous way to hang out after the run.

I’ll pull some rhubarb out of the freezer and make a rhubarb bread to share. (Please don’t interpret this as a subtext encouragement to bring a dish-to-pass—I just feel like baking on Saturday.)

@scottpdawson Do you know if the Black Diamond parking lot has any time of day parking restrictions? It is the closest spot I can find on the map that would seem to allow me to leave my vehicle while doing a pre-dawn run. It looks as though it is only a 1.4mile round trip to where the scan in sign is. I would also be open to any other suggestions on a close spot that I don’t have to worry about getting towed while inside. Or even better if your experience is that they don’t bother with enforcing the dawn to dusk rule on their website.

Right — officially the park hours are dawn to dusk. The parking lot you’re talking about is on Jacksonville Road, right? I don’t recall any signage there, and I can’t tell you a definitive yes/no on enforcement, or whether there are actually any rules for that lot. I can’t imagine there’d be a problem, but the park office will know for sure. There are two spots on Gorge Road right by Black Diamond, too, they might be a decent spot to park pre-dawn.
https://goo.gl/maps/qt8kt1P8KsQBTW9r7

Sounds good @tonya-engst! I’m planning on doing Lickbrook on Saturday so I may have totally dead legs but I’ll try to stay with :slight_smile:

Thanks for offering your deck - this will be the perfect way to hang out post-run and I am looking forward to it.

@scottpdawson The Parking lot I was looking at is on Jackson. About 500 feet from where your marker is to. It is labeled Black Diamond Trail Head on Google Maps. The spot you marked in your link looks like my best bet. Thanks for info!

Hi, everyone. I wanted to see if I could grab a ride from the Commons or Cass Park on Sunday.

@tonya-engst Sounds good! Are you planning to start a little early again, or with the rest of the group?

I don’t think I can get up early enough to guaranteeably start early like last time, and it looks like there will be a lot of people at our approximate pace, so I think it will be OK.

Wow, that Creekside Cafe (order online in advance) that Scott recommended has a lot of interesting breakfast options! Adam and I placed an order scheduled for pickup tomorrow at 10am.

Hoping to be there, but pretty sore from a hard 8 yesterday, so don’t wait up if I don’t make it out of bed on time!

Hey @aaron.proujansky1, unless someone else speaks up, we can give you a ride out for sure. We’re going to Scott and Amy’s afterward so if you want to come back sooner, perhaps someone else could give you a ride home.

We’re coming down from Ellis Hollow, so we could pick you up anywhere along the way, probably between 8:05 and 8:10. Pick a spot that’s convenient to you and easy for us to swing over. 607-275-9557 finds me via text.