FLRC Group Run at Danby State Forest Saturday 10/7 @ 8:30am - Danby Down and Dirty Preview!

The next FLRC group run will be this Saturday October 7, at Danby State Forest, hosted by @Jeney, and will act as a preview for the Danby Down and Dirty race (10K or 23K) coming up on October 14. If you are feeling some trepidation about the course, this is the perfect opportunity to get a feel for it, but you are invited to the group run regardless or your race day plans.

We’ll meet at the race starting line area at 8:30 AM and start running at 8:45 AM. There will be post-run snacks available so please stick around after for socializing and a delicious breakfast.

RunGo directions are available so if you’re not running with someone who is 100% familiar with the trails, please use them. You can view them online and download them to the RunGo app on your smartphone or Apple Watch. Search for Danby Down and Dirty 10k Trail Race or Danby Down and Dirty 23k Trail Race.

Register for Danby Down and Dirty!

Volunteer at the race!

Please vote in the poll below, using your road running pace, so others can get a sense of who else will be running their pace. We always have a wide range of runners, so you’ll generally find someone to run with.

Pace Poll
  • Sub-8:00-minute pace
  • 8:00-9:00-minute pace
  • 9:00-10:00-minute pace
  • 10:00-11:00-minute pace
  • 11:00-12:00-minute pace
  • 12:00-13:00-minute pace
  • 13:00-minute+ pace
  • I plan on hiking
  • I am unsure of my pace, but I will be there!
0 voters

Everyone is welcome, regardless of age, ability, pace, or anything else. This is a free activity and club membership is not required, but please sign the waiver before your first run this year. You only need to sign the waiver once for all 2023 group runs, so if you’ve already signed it, you’re all set! (Check Webscorer to verify that you signed.)

If you have questions or are interested in volunteering as a greeter/host for similar group runs, contact FLRC Group Run director Heather Cobb (cobb.heather.m@gmail.com). See you this weekend!

Subscribe to FLRC’s Google Calendar so race dates, group runs, and other club events flow into your calendar. Import this ICS file for most calendar apps; subscribe to fingerlakesrunners@gmail.com if you use Google Calendar.

Last year’s preview run participants.

1 Like

I’m happy to offer rides to up to 3 more people, especially if you can help a newcomer find the forest.

That is so kind of you, @Gerald! Where are you coming from that you may be able to offer a ride?

I’m on Hanshaw near sapsucker. Looks like I pass most of Ithaca to get there?

Thanks for hosting, and sorry I won’t be able to make it! If anyone encounters any problems along the trail, such as large downed trees, let me know so I can try to get it taken care of before race day.

Small tree top just downhill, east of Hill Rd (orange blaze), and larger and smaller downed trees on wider section of downhill just west of Hill Rd (orange blaze), both able to be ducked under, but quite possible to come up from first duck and hit head on second tree if not properly marked.

1 Like

Thanks Gerrit!

Quick wrap up…
We had 11 brave runners show up to a drizzly run through Abbott Loop. What a blast to meet new folk to the area (I believe one runner from Texas and another from South Carolina). Happy to share the beauty and the mud that is the Danby Down and Dirty course (a favorite of mine)!

Good luck runners on Saturday! Enjoy a great course!

3 Likes