FLRC Group Run at Kennedy State Forest Saturday 4/13 @ 9:30 AM

The next FLRC group run will be this Saturday April 13, at Kennedy State Forest, using the Forest Frolic course and RunGo directions. We’ll meet at the intersection of Hauck Hill Rd. and Bleck Rd. at 9:30 AM and start running at 9:45 AM. It’s going to be muddy and your feet will get wet from the creek crossings! There will be post-run snacks available so please stick around after for socializing and a delicious breakfast.

There are several options to run this course:

• The full 8.6-mile figure 8.
  • The upper ~6.3-mile loop: start down Hauck Hill Rd., continue straight at the intersection circled, and when you return to the intersection, take a right and come back up Hauck Hill Rd. (The RunGo directions will not work the last mile coming up Hauck Hill Rd., but it’s pretty intuitive.)
  • The lower ~4-mile loop: start down Hauck Hill Rd., take a right onto the white-blazed Finger Lakes Trail at the intersection circled, and finish the lower loop.

I will be mostly hiking the lower loop, so if you’re looking to become more comfortable on trails, please join me!

(The elevation gain at the top is not correct; it is closer to 1400 for the full course.)

Please use the RunGo directions, especially if you’re not running with someone who is 100% familiar with the trails. You can view them online and download them to the RunGo app on your smartphone or Apple Watch. Search for FLRC Forest Frolic 15k Course.

Please vote in the poll below (using your road pace) so others can get a sense of who else will be running their pace. We always have a wide range of runners, so you’ll generally find someone to run with.

Pace Poll
  • Sub-8:00-minute pace
  • 8:00-9:00-minute pace
  • 9:00-10:00-minute pace
  • 10:00-11:00-minute pace
  • 11:00-12:00-minute pace
  • 12:00-13:00-minute pace
  • 13:00-minute+ pace
  • I plan on hiking
0 voters

Everyone is welcome, regardless of age, ability, pace, or anything else. This is a free activity and club membership is not required, but please sign the waiver before your first run this year. You only need to sign the waiver once for all 2024 group runs, so if you’ve already signed it, you’re all set! (Check Webscorer to verify that you signed.)

If you have questions or are interested in volunteering as a greeter/host for similar group runs, contact FLRC Group Run director Heather Cobb (cobb.heather.m@gmail.com). See you this weekend!

Subscribe to FLRC’s Google Calendar so race dates, group runs, and other club events flow into your calendar. Import this ICS file for most calendar apps; subscribe to fingerlakesrunners@gmail.com if you use Google Calendar.

2 Likes

I’m pondering an 8am start to get an extra lap in - Finger Lakes 50 training. I’m about 10-30-11/min miles on the road. I can also offer a ride.

1 Like

I am going to do the shortest loop, and I put my pace in as 13 minutes per mile because of the terrain and creek crossings, but I will be at a 10-11 minutes per mile road pace effort. I am familiar with the course, will have RunGo, and would welcome company.

2 Likes

I’ll be there doing the shortest loop. I’m not sure if I’ll focus on hiking or running yet, but wanted to be counted for totals.

2 Likes

I may well see you out there a little early @Gerald, as I’m aiming to do a full loop plus an extra upper loop tomorrow: however, I’m fairly jet-lagged just now so don’t want to commit to being there at 8am in case my brain lets me down, apologies!

2 Likes

I am planning on running the 8.6 mile course. I run a 10 minute mile on average on the roads. I haven’t run on trails yet this year so I put myself in the 11 - 12 minute range. I might add an extra mile or two at the end to get double digits

I’m actually thinking of starting with the group. I’m not sure how long a lap will take in the mud. I did part of Monkey run yesterday and it was very slow going. Plus the cold and more rain. If I survive lap 1 I can do lap 2
But let me know before 7 if you are starting at 8. I will be there

Not going to make it there for 8, so see you with the group! It’s going to be a muddy one :smiling_face:

1 Like

I am not going to be able to make it to the group run after all. Hope to join for the next trail run.

Did you all enjoy the creek crossings? :joy: Epic conditions!

We enjoyed all four seasons this morning! Sun, rain, sleet, snow, we braved it all! Enjoyed the Finger Lakes Trail reroute and new bridge over one of the major creek crossings.

3 Likes

3 Likes

4 Likes

4 Likes

Where was I for the sun?

1 Like

It was within the first mile! And then disappeared behind the snow. :joy:

2 Likes

You all get serious bad-ass points!

3 Likes

At the first creek I spent a minute trying to decide where to cross until I realized it wasn’t going to make a difference. Runs like this make me feel alive! Although I was solo for most of it I liked knowing you all were out there, going through the same thing.

3 Likes

Other people who did not run with our group, might think that this is a photo of Diana in a pink jacket beside a scenic stream, but, in fact, it is the trail!

3 Likes