FLRC Summer Speed workout Tuesday 8/15 at 6:30 PM at Stewart Park

This will be our final workout at Stewart Park for the summer before we move back to the Cornell Botanic Gardens Arboretum for cross-country workouts (hills build leg muscles, aerobic capacity, and moral character!)

For this week’s workout, we’re going to return to the Yo-Yo workout. After 10 minutes of warmup jogging, everyone will regroup and start the workout, which involves running hard—I pace or 5K race pace—for 3 minutes. The group will spread out quite a bit, which is the point. At 3 minutes, the leader (the yo-yo) and everyone except the person at the back of the pack (the handler) will turn and jog back until you’ve regrouped. (The handler just keeps jogging forward.) Once everyone has regrouped, the next hard rep starts. The rest will be relatively short on these, probably about 1 minute. We’ll keep repeating out the Waterfront Trail toward the Farmer’s Market and beyond until we’ve done 4 sets, and then we’ll turn around and do 4 sets back.

For anyone who’s new, we meet at the bocce pits by the large pavilion at Stewart Park at 6:15, with the warmup exercises starting at 6:30. All are welcome, though you must sign the waiver once for 2023 and if you’re coming regularly, be an FLRC member .

Resources

That was brutal! But fun! Question: for the cross country at the botanical gardens are we running on grass or paths? I need new shoes and that will be a deciding factor.

It will be both — it’s important to get some training in on grass, but there are other times we’ll stay on the pavement.

Probably a good idea to get some shoes with tread for the grass days. I’ll be announcing the workouts beforehand as I do now, so you can wear the appropriate shoes.

1 Like

Awesome excited!