FLRC workouts for the week of August 10th

It’s looking like another hot week, so try to do these workouts when it’s more comfortable out, and be sure to hydrate well after.

FLRC’s Bodyweight for Runners class has had its first two sessions (and wow, was I sore after the first one—a good hint that those muscles weren’t getting the exercise they needed), but there are still a couple of slots open if you’re just learning about it now. See details at:

Middle Distance Workouts (5K to 15K)

• Workout 1: This one is simple but tough. Run 1 minute at I pace, followed by 1 minute at E pace (which is faster than a standard recovery jog). Repeat up to 20 times. I say “up to” because if you start to fall apart due to the heat, or because you don’t have sufficient weekly mileage, it’s more important to bail on the workout and survive to run the second workout of the week.

• Workout 2: 2 miles, 2 miles, and 1/2 mile, all at T pace, with a 3-minute jogging rest after each repetition. When you’re done with the T-pace work and rested, do 6 by 30-second strides (30 seconds at R pace, followed by 30 seconds of jogging).

• Long Run: 25-30% of your weekly mileage at E pace

Long Distance Workouts (Half Marathon to Marathon)

• Workout 1: 6-8 reps of 1 mile at T pace effort with 1-minute rests after each one. It will be hard to hit paces on this as the terrain varies, so don’t worry if you slow down going up hills. Try not to start too fast! The range is there so you can see how you feel after six reps and if the remaining two are helpful or not. Again, don’t stress if the heat messes up this workout a bit.

• Long Run: 25-30% of your weekly mileage at E pace

Resources

I only hit 6 reps of T pace earlier this week because of the heat, but felt pretty good afterwards. Slowly building back mileage and hoping to do a virtual trail marathon at the end of this month at Hammond Hill!

1 Like

Good to hear @gplwoo! It took me 2 tries to do this - bailed on attempt Thursday morning at Delaware shore in very humid conditions. So tried again this morning. Went much better than Thursday’s attempt not sure why. I did lots different: had some caffeine (coffee) and a Cliff bar before starting; ran in cooler weather; ran familiar course through neighborhood; walked during recovery; only used a gel midway. Note that 5th repeat was very difficult and only did sixth repeat when I realized it was almost all downhill. Post run looking at stats I did a good job of pacing - i did program my watch in advance with a +:10/:-:20 range around desired pace and that helped me get into good pace first 2 reps. It also meant the watch was beeping constantly on the uphill 5th (too slow!) and downhill 6th (too fast!) reps

1 Like

Nice work, both of you. The heat really does play a factor in these workouts.