FLRC workouts for the week of August 3rd

I hope everyone is feeling rested and strong after last week’s easier workouts, so we’ll ramp it up again a bit this week.

Remember, if you’re looking for some strength work on the side, FLRC is organizing a Bodyweight for Runners class. Class size is limited, but there’s still room. See details at:

Middle Distance Workouts (5K to 15K)

Some more pace-changing workouts, including the infamous @joe-daley down-up ladder:

• Workout 1: 4-6 by 3-minute reps, where the first 2 minutes are at I pace and the last 1 minute is at R pace. With the added R pace, we’re going to increase the rest, so do 3 minutes of rest in between each one, and concentrate on maintaining form, particularly in the R-pace section of each rep. We did this workout in the week of June 22nd, so if you’re logging, see if you can compare this one to the previous one.

• Workout 2: 5-4-2-1-1-2-4-5 minutes, with everything at I pace. This is going to be tough with the longer reps, so make sure you’re warmed up well. Each recovery should be the same amount of time as the fast rep you just ran. We’ll hold off on making the up-ladder rests shorter for now.

• Long Run: 25-30% of your weekly mileage at E pace

Long Distance Workouts (Half Marathon to Marathon)

If we were running in a group this week, everyone would be doing fartlek this week.

• Workout 1: 15 minutes at M pace, 15 minutes at T pace, then 15 minutes more of M pace. No rest between each change of pace—you’re just switching speeds within a 45-minute run. Don’t forget the minimum of 10 minutes at E pace for a warmup and cooldown.

• Long Run: 25-30% of your weekly mileage at E pace

Resources

I’ll see about the “rested” part / but mentally this will be easier for me:Warmup, accelerate (such as I can) to M pace, hold, accelerate to T pace, hold, decelerate to M pace, hold, cooldown, get coffee…

I agree with @bobtalda about this workout being mentally easier, minus the coffee at the end (instead I dropped off a very wet and unhappy dog at home after the first 15 M pace interval :stuck_out_tongue:). I struggled a bit to not slow down too much for the second M pace interval, but overall was happy with my splits and felt great running in the rain today. I’m so ready for fall weather…