FLRC workouts for the week of January 11th, 2021

The weather is conspiring to keep us on the roads this week, with no snow and probably not enough warmth to melt the icy ruts that are crudding up many of our trails.

I realize it’s hard to focus on races at this point, so if you have any particular training goals or directions you’d like me to take these workouts, let me know!

Middle Distance Workouts (5K to 15K)

• Workout: We haven’t done a ladder workout in a while, but it can be a nice way of jazzing up a dreary day. The ladder is 1-2-3-4-4-3-2-1 minutes, all at T pace, with 2 minutes of E pace rest in between each rep. If your weekly mileage is on the higher side, add in a 5-minute rep in the middle. Don’t go out too fast, since the goal is to be able to hit your T pace on the longer reps.

• Long Run: 25-30% of your weekly mileage at E pace

Long Distance Workouts (Half Marathon to Marathon)

• Workout: A marathoner’s ladder is a little longer. 2-4-6-8-6-4-2 minutes, again at T pace with 2 minutes of E pace rest in between each rep. Don’t forget the minimum of 10 minutes of warmup and cooldown!

• Long Run: 25-30% of your weekly mileage at E pace

Resources

Nothing official, but a few of us are meeting at the Wildflower Garden parking lot at the end of Forest Home Drive tomorrow (Thursday) at 12:15 PM to do the middle-distance ladder workout. If anyone wants to join, feel free.