FLRC workouts for the week of January 18th, 2021

Before I get to the workout, @aaron.proujansky1 wanted to note that an Ithaca High School startup team he’s mentoring is researching road crossings that are unsafe for runners and bikers, and they’re focusing on the blind corners at the intersection of University Ave. and Linn St. downtown. If you run downtown and know that intersection, could you fill out their survey?

Anyway, I ran my own workout last week with @billwatson, @Mike_S, and @bdonato, and wow, was that ladder rough. Unless people tell me that they’re looking for more work, I’m going to make the workouts a bit easier for a while, particularly during the winter when it can be hard to run fast while wearing a lot of clothes and running on sometimes iffy surfaces.

Middle Distance Workouts (5K to 15K)

• Workout: After your warmup, find a relatively flat course and do 2 by 1 mile at M pace. It’s a bit slower than T pace, so try to keep it in control at the start. Rest for 2 minutes between reps. If you’re champing at the bit after two reps, feel free to do another one. When you’re done, close with a few 30-second strides and then your cooldown.

• Long Run: 25-30% of your weekly mileage at E pace

Long Distance Workouts (Half Marathon to Marathon)

• Workout: For the marathoners, let’s just double it—2 by 2 miles at M pace, with a 4-minute rest. Before your cooldown, do at least six 30-second strides.

• Long Run: 25-30% of your weekly mileage at E pace

Resources

Gonna throw in my $0.02 and agree that last weekend’s workout was tough! 6min intervals were the hardest for some reason. I dragged @julie19 out today onto the Dryden rail trail for our 2x2mile repeats in the snow (oops, we forgot to do strides at the end). Didn’t quite hit our pace because of the extra powdery snow but effort was definitely there! Keep these workouts coming (:

Thanks for the feedback, @gplwoo, and I’m glad to hear you’re keeping up with them. The fresh snow this morning was pretty, but did make for some slippery running anywhere it wasn’t salted heavily—I just did 6 easy with @jullfly in Cayuga Heights and was sliding around even there.

2 Likes