FLRC workouts for the week of July 6th

Last week was a slightly down week in terms of intensity, so I hope everyone is feeling good for this week’s workouts. Given the predicted temperatures this week, I recommend running in the morning or evening unless you’re actively doing heat training (and even then, be careful with running too hard in the heat of the day).

Middle Distance Workouts (5K to 15K)

These are going to be tough but fun!

• Workout 1: This is a 200-200-800 track workout at its heart, but since most people are on roads, go for 30-60 seconds at R pace, followed by 2 minutes jogging, then 30-60 seconds at R pace, followed by 4 minutes of jogging, followed by 2:30-4:00 at R pace, followed by 4 minutes of jogging. The ranges are for you to pick your estimated 200m and 800m times. For instance, an 8-minute miler would run 60 seconds for the 200m reps and 4:00 for the 800m reps; a 5-minute miler would be more like 35 seconds for the 200m reps and 2:45 for the 800m reps. Try for 3-4 sets of that 200-200-800 combination but if you feel your form falling apart toward then, cut it short.

• Workout 2: This is simple but will likely be tough: 30 minutes at T pace. Jog for 5 minutes and then do 6 by 30-second strides (30 seconds at R pace, followed by 30 seconds of jogging).

• Long Run: 25-30% of your weekly mileage at E pace

Long Distance Workouts (Half Marathon to Marathon)

This workout will require some concentration, and it’s best done while it’s cool.

• Workout 1: 6-8 reps of 1 mile at T pace effort with 1-minute rests after each one. It will be hard to hit paces on this as the terrain varies, so don’t worry if you slow down going up hills. And try not to start too fast! The range is there so you can see how you feel after six reps and if the remaining two are helpful or not.

• Long Run: 25-30% of your weekly mileage at E pace

Resources

Okay, Adam, so I’ll wait for you to arrange for a cool day this week…:just kidding:…I’ve been playing around with the Strava app and the mountains of data it builds about my runs - and one item I’m intrigued by is the “grade adjusted pace” (GAP). I’m going to check this after I complete my tempo run, though if last week’s workout is any indication, I can’t do much in the way of hills; just climbing Stevenson and Genung at (H)M pace effort was enough to run me into my HR max limit. I suspect I’m going to head for the BDT for this workout - particularly the 6 miles of mostly shaded trail beyond the end of the power lines

I’ll be curious how you find the grade-adjusted pace. My sense was always that it was a little overenthusiastic—my GAP was always faster than quite seemed reasonable. But I’m sure it’s evolved since I last checked.