FLRC workouts for the week of March 30th

Thanks to @gplwoo and @julie19 for feedback on last week’s workout! As before, please reply with comments about how your runs went, if the workouts felt too easy or too hard, and anything else. I need feedback to adjust the workouts appropriately. Remember, these are pace-based workouts, so they should be appropriate for anyone—you just have to slot in the pace that’s appropriate for your fitness level. The Jack Daniels pace calculator and suggestions for warmup and cooldown are at the bottom of this post. Questions welcome!

If you’re not yet running 20-25 miles per week, or want to read the introduction to this workout series, see the first week’s post.

Middle Distance Workouts (5K to 15K)

It’s important to have a recovery day or two after each workout, so I’d suggest trying for Tuesday for Workout 1, Thursday or Friday for Workout 2, and Sunday for the long run. Whatever works for you is fine.

• Workout 1: 4-8 by 3 minutes at I pace, with a 1-minute jog after each repetition. Remember, you can think of I-pace as 5K race pace, and you should adjust how many reps you do to your weekly mileage.

• Workout 2: 1 mile, 1 mile, 2 miles at T pace (similar to 10K race pace) with a 3-minute jogging rest after each repetition. When you’re done with the T-pace work, do 4 by 30 second strides, where you increase your pace to what feels like your R pace (1-mile race pace), hold it for the remainder of the 30 seconds, and then jog for 30 seconds before repeating. With the strides, focus on maintaining good running form—they’re more neuromuscular training for when your body is tired than anything else. If you don’t have at least 25 miles per week, drop one of the 1 mile reps.

• Long Run: 20-25% of your weekly mileage at E pace

Long Distance Workouts (Half Marathon to Marathon)

For most people running the marathon, one workout a week is sufficient, but the long run is even more important, so it’s best to do your workout on Tuesday or Wednesday such that you’re fresh for a good long run on the weekend.

• Workout 1: 20 minutes at E pace, 20 minutes at T pace (similar to 10K race pace), 20 minutes at E pace. No need to do the extra 10 minutes warmup/cooldown.

• Long Run: 25% of your weekly mileage at E pace

Resources

1 Like

I’ll add one for ultrarunners… 3-10 hours a day at forever pace because you have nothing better to do. :grinning:

2 Likes

3 posts were split to a new topic: What percent of weekly mileage should long runs be?

Ran the marathon workout this morning but misjudged where I would be at the 20 min mark, so the first few mins of the T pace running were on super muddy trail and definitely didn’t hit 10k road pace. Ended up doing an extra 10 mins of hard running once we hit the rec trail to make a 20-30-10 workout. Felt pretty good. The dog cooperated better this week :slight_smile:

1 Like