FLRC workouts for the week of September 7th

The weather has finally turned cooler, which should make some of these workouts a little easier than they would have been in the heat of the summer.

Middle Distance Workouts (5K to 15K)

• Workout 1: 4 sets of the following: 45 seconds at R pace, 2 minutes jogging, 45 seconds at R pace, 3 minutes jogging, 3 minutes at R pace, and 3 minutes jogging. So, to summarize, it’s 0:45-0:45-3:00 for the R pace reps and 2:00-3:00-3:00 for the recovery jogs.

• Workout 2: 4 by 1 mile at T pace, with 3 minutes of rest between each rep. Finish with 6 by 30-second strides.

• Long Run: 25-30% of your weekly mileage at E pace

Long Distance Workouts (Half Marathon to Marathon)

• Workout 1: 4-6 sets of the following: 5 minutes at M pace, followed immediately by 4 minutes at T pace, followed immediately by 1 minute at I pace. Rest for 3 minutes, then repeat. Choose a number of sets based on your weekly mileage and how you’re feeling after four.

• Long Run: 25-30% of your weekly mileage at E pace

Resources

how was I feeling after 4? Done! physically and mentally. I had a real struggle with pacing - I had chosen a relatively flat course for a change so I could focus on pacing (well, and seeing where I was going - it was very early in the morning long before sunup so running on lit streets was a plus!). I also programmed my watch with the desired paces as a substitute for having another runner with me. I thought I was going to drain my watch battery the first set because I was consistently slow - :20-:40 behind my target pace. One mega-caffienated gel later, I was doing better - too much better on the “M” pace segments, as I kept going too fast - as long as I stayed focused. Let my mind wander and boom! Watch alarm about going too slow. I think that constant struggle contributed to the “I’d done after 4” feeling

Sounds like very early in the morning may not be the best time to attempt structured workouts. :slight_smile: I know I’d have trouble concentrating before the sun was up. But that’s a tough workout at the best of times!

A week late, as wrangling goats and horses on call is not conducive to recovering before a workout - but I ran the marathon workout this morning and got a bit of a shock in the 45F temps. As such my first rep was a bit slow because it took longer than expected to warm up, but once I got going the next 3 reps felt great. 4 min at I pace segment was definitely the hardest mentally, but once that was over the final minute at T pace came without too much extra effort. Next time I run a similar workout I will try for an extra rep. Sam-dog thinks this is stellar workout weather!

Unfortunately I won’t be able to join Tuesday evening workouts for now, but will definitely keep trying to do marathon workouts as they keep being posted (:

1 Like