Happy Holidays Scavenger Hunt Week 4 begins Sunday, 12/13

The third week of FLRC’s Happy Holidays Scavenger Hunt was pretty awesome. You guys are finding some of these items in very inventive ways, and I am very impressed. Be sure you post your items by Saturday - winners will be announced on Sunday.

Week 4 begins Sunday- we are halfway done already! From Sunday to Saturday (12/13 - 12/19), find as many of these items as you can while out on your walk, run, or hike.

1. A wreath
  2. Run by a body of water (lake, river/creek, waterfall, ocean)
  3. Statue/sculpture (snowpeople count!)
  4. Geese (bonus point if they’re a-laying)
  5. Mailbox (especially if it’s decorated or unusual!)
  6. Run in a hat

Once you find your item, take a selfie or picture and post it on this thread. Remember, for every item that you post, you get one point. The runner(s) with the most points will be entered into the swag drawing at the end of the event. And, while 6 might seem to be the weekly high score, remember that the race director (that’s me!) can award extra points based on particularly creative or artistic photos, or those that get lots of “likes” here on the forum. (The race director also has a soft spot for cookies, but you didn’t hear that from me…)

1 Like

It’s nice when I can tick off all of these in one outing, so here goes:

An ironically self-referential HAT hat:

A house with a self-referential mailbox, although nonironic, actually:

A pair of wreaths:

The quiet brook near home:

A tiny portion of a ridiculously expansive flock of geese fleeing to warmer climes – as they should:

So many rocks; sculpting them into cairns is the only reasonable thing to do, and Steve is a master:

4 Likes

Mailbox on Ellis Hollow Rd; Beebe Lake(water, hat, and hard to see geese; some geese at Stewart Park (closer up)
Bear near Skunk Cabbage start, with hat.![IMG_3596|375x500]Wreaths near Fall Creek School

5 Likes

Hat, wreath and water in one! Seneca Lake

IMG_7145 (2)_LI|690x422

Here’s a 1/2 ton stone sculpture if my wooden dog doesn’t work.

3 Likes

Geese on the lake and mailbox that could use a new paint job. The winds off the lake are brutal.

4 Likes

Two 2-fer-1s: hat and waterfall at Treman State Park this afternoon.

4 Likes

A three-fer: hat, pond, and sculpture. Sculpture is of a whooping crane, not a goose. I tried to get a four-fer with geese in background, but geese would not do a fly-by at the right time.

My mailbox, pandemic-style. Why is my mailbox interesting?!? Because I ran the ~200 feet from my door to it. Longest run since my disc injury last spring.

3 Likes

Mailbox - one selfie, one close up. I love cardinals!

These statues are in my front yard. They’re too heavy to put away every winter so here they live. In the spring they’re surrounded by beautiful daffodils. Snapped these pics after my run today before the storm!

3 Likes

Wreath! Thanks @lizhartman

Geese weren’t very photogenic. See the closeup.

4 Likes

Got all of mine without too much trouble this week - one of the “hat” photos is actually a headband that looks like a hat, so I donned my hood in the mailbox photo. I wanted to find a stone statue but had to settle for the festive holiday deer statue in a neighbor’s yard. I was worried about the geese but caught them on my second run!! The body of water is my pond - it’s awesome for swimming when it’s not freezing cold.

(upload://ukRxzKkyy7L7KxmzxRDt3Ucteli.jpeg)

4 Likes

A friend suggested that I might find a wreath at the YMCA, and she was right!

3 Likes

Two bodies of water: the natural one is at the bird observatory.

3 Likes

Sculpture abounds here in the city. Hard to pick a favorite!

3 Likes

I got all my finds on a run at Nichols Park in Spencer on Monday, but too busy prepping for the storm to post til now.

This is why I hate selfies; I don’t even recognize myself, but it’s my hat, all right.
wreath
Wreath.

The flock of geese that usually (and annoyingly) live at this pond were not in appearance, except for this one lonely goose. I hope they were just hanging out on the island and hadn’t flown south, leaving this one behind.
swamp monster
Swamp Monster! A local artist named Wayne Myers has created many sculptures and gardens around the pond, making them from stone and parts of old farm implements. The eyes here are old mill stones.

I know, I know; the pond itself has been photo bombing most of these pictures, but I’m using it here as an excuse to include my favorite sight of the day although not on our hunt list: holiday ornaments hung from trees and bushes all along the path by some mysterious person just feeling, no doubt, generous of spirit. I really am happy when I’m running, and they added to my joy.
mailbox
I ran past a lot of mailboxes, but none with great decorations; so when I got home I spruced up my own with the medals that I earned in all of my 2020 virtual racing.
We’ve survived this one. On to the next, whatever it brings.

4 Likes

Love the sculptures & the gardens!

Migration season is over, so this is as close as I could get. I did consider goosing someone on camera…

3 Likes

3 Likes

Red hat

in a golden sphere

2 Likes

I would have loved to have seen that photo, especially if it was a stranger!

I didn’t have to stay off my beaten paths this week to find our treasures:
A wreath on the shed of my running buddy’s house.

Gotta love Flat Rock, beautiful in all the seasons.

I’m a sucker for glass sculptures. This is a relatively new one at the Cornell Botanic Garden.

No scarcity of these fine feathered friends on Beebe Lake this week.

Courtesy of the Forest Home Chapel.

Borrowed my daughter’s hat for this run.

5 Likes