Last run for Amalia Skilton, FLRC cross-country and FLRC Challenge runner

Hi all,

Carrying on the long-standing tradition of a “last run” for High Noon/FLRC cross-country runners who move away from Ithaca, I’ll be hosting a group run for Amalia Skilton on Sunday, April 21, at 10 AM. All are welcome to help send Amalia off in style!

We’ll be helping Amalia “cover the ground” for the 2024 FLRC Challenge, which she is trying to squeeze into her limited time in Ithaca, by running the 4.3-mile Lindsay-Parsons Challenge course. We’ll meet at the parking lot for the Lindsay-Parsons Biodiversity Preserve, at 2521 Spencer Rd, Spencer, NY 14883 (Google pin), at 10:00 AM and aim to start running at 10:15 AM.

There will be snacks for post-run socializing and good-byes to Amalia.

Please vote in the pace poll below so others can get a sense of who else will be running their pace. Use your road pace—don’t worry about guessing how fast you’ll go on the trail.

Pace Poll
  • Sub-8:00-minute pace
  • 8:00-9:00-minute pace
  • 9:00-10:00-minute pace
  • 10:00-11:00-minute pace
  • 11:00-12:00-minute pace
  • 12:00-13:00-minute pace
  • 13:00-minute+ pace
  • I plan on hiking
0 voters

Everyone is welcome, regardless of age, ability, pace, or anything else. If you haven’t yet done so, please sign the FLRC 2024 Training Programs waiver. You need to sign only once for all 2024 group runs, so if you’ve already done so, you’re all set—check here.)

Lindsay Parsons is about 12 miles southwest of the Ithaca Commons, so let’s get some carpooling going. Vote if you need a ride or can give one, and post a reply below with meetup ideas.
  • I can give a ride
  • I need a ride
0 voters

For those running the FLRC Challenge (it’s not too late to sign up), make sure you have Webscorer installed on your phone, if you have a phone. If you’ll be using RunGo or GPX, be sure to download the information at home; cell service may be spotty at the preserve. The course directions recommend that you put a picture of the course map on your phone or print it out on paper.

See you on Sunday! —Tonya Engst, FLRC cross-country captain

Subscribe to FLRC’s Google Calendar so race dates, group runs, and other club events flow into your calendar. Import this ICS file for most calendar apps; subscribe to fingerlakesrunners@gmail.com if you use Google Calendar.

@mdoruska3 @adamengst @KimJ - For different reasons (marathon, knee, might not be ideal for hamstring), each of you might want to come but not actually run. Since there are three of you, I have the idea that you might want to walk for a mile or two instead of running. Kim, I don’t know if the course is hilly or what the trails are like.

1 Like

I think that I’ll be picking up @kalebsm on Mitchell Street. (Kaleb, I checked and you are directly on the route I’d be taking!) I might have Adam in the car, too, so that leaves a spot for one more person… any Ellis Hollow or Belle Sherman runners or people who want to be picked up on Seneca Street?

1 Like

I’m game for a walk of at least a mile and maybe up to two miles. If we did the first big loop, it would be about 1.75 miles.

I wish I could make it! @amalia best wishes for your move!

2 Likes

I will be there and walking (I will probably do my long run before)

2 Likes

Does anyone know if dogs are allowed at the preserve? There is nothing specific posted on their website for this particular location. If so I might follow Molly’s lead and do my long run first then walk the course with my doggo.

I can’t see any indication that they wouldn’t be allowed, and I’d be surprised if there was a problem with walking a dog there, especially if it was on a leash.

Sad not to be able to come to this - @amalia, have the most amazing adventure!

1 Like

It’s not super hilly, but there are a few rolling hills. The terrain is generally pretty easy but expect some muddy sections after you cross the railroad tracks.

Lindsay Parsons is managed by the Finger Lakes Land Trust, which (to my knowledge) allows dogs at all of its sites. At any rate there’s no signs there saying you can’t have a dog.

I’ll sign up.

I intend to run. But may need to mix in walking. And If I am not feeling it at all, I may just switch to walk. I probably won’t know til the morning. Looking forward to the run!

1 Like

I know it’s short notice, but would you be able to take anyone else via carpool from Seneca St? Thank you!

Yes, I would be happy to pick you up at 9:35/9:40. Can you please let me know where on Seneca Street would be good and also your text phone number in case we need to get in touch tomorrow morning? My number is 607-275-8383.

1 Like

Good luck with your next chapter @amalia !!! I didn’t realize how far of a drive this course is for me so won’t be able to make it today. It’s been fun running with you and I wish you all the best!

1 Like

Lots of photos taken today—here are a few from my phone.

2 Likes

I put more photos in the Challenge thread for the Lindsey Parsons course.