MITHACAL MILERS track workout Tuesday, 11/7 at 6:45 PM in Barton Hall

With Daylight Saving Time not saving us any daylight for evening workouts, we’re moving indoors to Barton Hall on Tuesday to start track work—thanks to Cornell for being so accommodating once again! We’ll meet at 6:45 PM to get changed and chat, with the warmup starting at 7 PM. You can park in many spots on campus, but the parking garage is often the most convenient.

As in previous years, workouts will be targeted at helping you train for the mile race, but because the mile is such a great distance, the workouts can easily be tweaked slightly to help with races from the 800m to the 5K.

To meet new Cornell requirements, everyone must SIGN THE NEW FLRC TRAINING PROGRAMS WAIVER once for the next year! Parents must sign for children, and all kids must be accompanied by an adult. These waivers are not optional; I have to give Cornell copies for liability reasons. (This is reasonable, so in case of a lawsuit, Cornell doesn’t have to hunt down an off-campus club that used some online system to collect signatures.)

Sign the FLRC Training Programs Waiver

Since many people ran a hilly PGXC 8K on Sunday and have another one next Sunday, tonight’s workout will be simple and easy, with the goal of just stretching the legs out and feeling what it’s like to run faster on a track. It will have neuromuscular benefits for Sunday’s race as well.

After our lunge matrix, leg swings, and 10 minutes of warmup jogging, we’ll run 8 by 200m (one lap), with each rep being an acceleration from an easy pace to 5K race pace at 100m to your mile race pace in the last 50 meters. Recovery should be 400m (two laps) of easy jogging in the reverse direction at a conversational pace.

Any questions? See you Tuesday, and don’t forget to vote before the workout!

Resources

Hi Adam!

Is there childcare in Barton Hall this time?

Thanks,
Selina

Knew I forgot something. :slight_smile: Let me check with @kcmccormick8 and see if she’s game for coaching kid workouts again.

For those who aren’t aware of the context, this isn’t childcare. Instead, the goal of the FLRC Family Running Program is to provide opportunities for parents and children (ages 5–9, roughly) to run at the same time (unlike most other kid sports). Any adult may participate, whether or not they come with a child, but each child must be accompanied to a workout by a parent or responsible adult!

Yes! I’ll be there and ready for running games/exploring Barton Hall :slight_smile:

1 Like

That’s great, Kate—thanks! See you tonight, and we’ll see how many kids show up.