MITHACAL MILERS track workout Tuesday, Apr 9, at 7 PM in Barton Hall

Sorry for the late post, folks, but I’ve been busy with Skunk Cabbage on the weekend and then heading north to see bits of the eclipse through the clouds in Oswego yesterday.

Tonight’s workout will be a bit different than normal in two ways. First, Tonya and I have a business dinner that cropped up unexpectedly, so your guest coach will be Jason Jenks (big guy, black hair and beard). He’ll explain the workout and lead the warmup. I’m sure you know what to do anyway, and the Strength and Mobility regulars can gather at the end for that routine.

Second, since many of you ran Skunk Cabbage on Sunday, Tuesday is too soon for a hard workout after a 10K or half marathon race. So this workout is intentionally meant to be on the easy side so you can use it to get the legs moving again. Here’s the schedule, just to be clear, starting at about 7:10.

• Lunges and leg swings
  • 10 minutes of jogging
  • Jason will explain the workout
  • Line up in rough order of pace
  • 200m at a faster but not race pace, 200m slow to spread out the group
  • 3-6 T-pace 800m repeats for the workout, with 400m recoveries
  • Up to 10 minutes of jogging to cool down
  • Strength and mobility exercises

So, about those 800m repeats. T pace is your threshold pace, or about 10K race pace. That’s on the slow side, which is good, and where we’d normally do a short recovery, we’re instead going to have 400m recoveries. Aim for between 3 and 6 repeats, basing how many you do on how you’re feeling if you raced and what your weekly mileage is if you didn’t (about 8% of your weekly mileage).

Enjoy!

Resources