MITHACAL MILERS track workout Tuesday, Jan 9, at 7:00 PM in Barton Hall

We have two choices for the workout tomorrow, depending on whether or not you’re racing in the Hartshorne Masters Mile on Saturday or the USATF Niagara Championship meet on Sunday.

Racing

For those who are running Hartshorne or USATF Niagara, this workout is designed to feel easy and fun, and to prepare you psychologically. You’ll run 8 by 200m, starting at 7 seconds slower than your R pace and running 1 second faster each lap such that you hit R pace in the 7th rep. Then, run the final 8th rep all out. You want full recovery after each 200m, so jog 200m easy after each fast repetition. The goal is to feel strong and fast throughout.

Not Racing

If you’re not running Hartshorne, you’ll do 2 or 3 sets of this combination:

• 2 by 200m at R pace, with 200m jogs. These are fast and will feel easy on the first set.
  • 2 by 1000m at T pace, with 1-minute rest after each one. These are on the slow side but have little rest.
  • 2 by 200m at R pace, with 200m jogs. You’ll be going into these less fresh.

The goal is to have the T pace work be about 8% of your weekly mileage. If your mileage is below 20 miles per week, consider dropping to 800m for the longer reps and only 1 by 200m for the faster reps.

Remember that Cornell requires a NEW, IMPROVED! waiver for 2024, so please sign the FLRC 2024 Training Programs waiver if you haven’t already.

Finally, since I’m opening and closing Barton for this workout, please don’t open additional doors—Cornell is happy to let us run but doesn’t want Barton to be generally open. If someone sneaks in to shoot baskets, I’ll kick them out when we leave.

Any questions?

See you Tuesday night!

Resources

We hope @kcmccormick8 is feeling better, and will be there as long as kids stuff is happening too?

I’ll be there!!!

2 Likes