MITHACAL MILERS XC workout 10/19 at 6 PM at the Cornell Botanic Gardens

In another workout aimed at having some fun and giving everyone a leg up on our Taughannock PGXC course, we’ll be doing a fartlek (Swedish for “speedplay”) workout this week, and for those running the FLRC Challenge, it will also provide a Cornell Botanic Gardens effort (albeit a long slow one) for the Challenge.

We’ll warm up by jogging over to the Challenge course start by Caldwell Road. Once there, we’ll regroup and start the fartlek, which involves running hard—I-pace, or 5K race pace—for 3 minutes. At 3 minutes, I’ll blow a whistle, and everyone except the person at the back of the pack will turn and jog back until we’ve regrouped. (The last person just keeps jogging forward.) Then the next 3-minute rep will go, and we’ll keep repeating until we’ve done the entire 2.4-mile Challenge course.

See you Tuesday night!

PS: We meet at the parking area in the bowl of the F. R. Newman Arboretum at the Cornell Botanic Gardens. The workouts are free and open to all FLRC members, but everyone must sign an online waiver once for 2021. It’s the same as for the FLRC group runs, so if you’ve signed that one this year, no need to do so again. If you aren’t fully vaccinated, please wear a mask whenever you aren’t running. And get vaccinated!

Resources

For those who ran the workout last night and want to record the Challenge effort, the best I could figure out was to subtract 6 minutes (four 90 second rest periods, while jogging backward to regroup with @heathercobb3) from your time. Since we all ran more than the actual course, it will be a slow time even still, but in this case, we covered the ground at least once.

@Tristan_Lambert @mdoruska3 @gplwoo @KimJ