Please avoid the Waterfront Trail and Forest Frolic course for now

Bad news, runners. As you know, Monday’s storm caused a lot of damage in Stewart Park, which remains closed until further notice. Please don’t run there until we get the all-clear from the City. (But if you want to get some upper-body work in, volunteers are needed for cleanup today from 4-6 PM or any other time when you can help.)

Plus, @kag22 reported that the Forest Frolic course has numerous trees down, turning it into an obstacle course. Trail coordinator Joe Dabes is working on it, but Karen relayed that he said part of the Finger Lakes Trail is closed in that area. Until we know more and get an update on the trail conditions from Joe, save yourself the drive and don’t run out there either.

The good news is that other canonical FLRC trails seem to have escaped major damage. @lizhartman and @jullfly ran the Danby Down & Dirty course yesterday and reported that although there were some trees down, they were easy enough to get around or go under. And @lizhartman ran Thom B. on Wednesday and reports that it’s in fine shape. Finally, @mickiejauquet and @bobtalda report that the Tortoise & Hare course is passable too, with just one small tree down that will probably be cleared soon enough.

@Lorrie_Tily reports that the Fillmore Glen trails that we use for our Forge the Gorgeous race didn’t suffer any storm damage (for once!), so if you’re looking for some different trails, consider a trip out to Moravia.

How’s the fifties course? Any destruction there?

No word on the FL50s course yet, though I’m sure that race directors @tpdady and @me.runalot are checking it out.

We are heading to FL Forest today to check course.
Pete&Mike

Out and about. Short and sweet. iPhone mail.

Pete and I are out doing some mowing and weed eating. We ran into a few people and question them, everything seems to be fine so far.

We’ve been following some of the boards and have not heard any reports of bad sections of trail on the other 50.

If you hear anything. Let us know ASAP.

Forest Frolic course has a marked detour around the major storm damage. The rest of it is open.

1 Like

I’ve just heard from Joe Dabes, who maintains the Finger Lakes Trail portion of the Forest Frolic course, that the course is now clear!

The last remaining blockage (~a dozen large trees) on the 7K loop between Bleck and Cortright Roads was cleared last Saturday. The whole 15K Frolic course has been cleared within the last two weeks. If anyone notices any new trees down, please let me know.

Everyone running the FLRC Challenge should feel free start running the Frolic course again, and we’ve reopened registration for the in-person Forest Frolic race on July 31st.

https://fingerlakesrunners.org/race/forest-frolic-2021/