Summer Speed workout Tuesday 5/14 at 6:30 PM at Stewart Park

It’s time for another Tuesday evening workout at Stewart Park, with the warmup starting at 6:30 PM. We’ll meet at the bocce pits near the big pavilion—there’s lots of nearby parking.

All are welcome, though you should be running enough that a distance of 3–4 miles isn’t problematic. The only requirements are that you must be an FLRC member and sign the FLRC Training Programs waiver once for 2024.

I’ll be at a conference this week so Tonya Engst will be leading this week’s Yo-Yo workout. After 10 minutes of warmup jogging, we’ll regroup at the big pavilion and start the workout, which involves running hard—I pace or 5K race pace—for 2 minutes. The group will spread out quite a bit, which is the point. At 2 minutes, the leader (the yo-yo) and everyone except the person at the back of the pack (the handler) will turn and jog back until the entire group has coalesced around the handler again. (The handler just jogs forward for their rest.) Then the next 2-minute hard rep will start. We’ll keep repeating out the Waterfront Trail, across the bridges, toward the Farmer’s Market, and beyond until we’ve done 4 sets, and then we’ll turn around and do 4 back.

After the final set, we’ll do the usual strength and mobility exercises, and I’m sure you can all help Tonya remember what we do in what order.

For those who haven’t come before, here’s how the workouts go:

• 6:15–6:30: Arrive, change, mill around, chat with your friends.
  • 6:30–6:40: We do a lunge matrix and set of leg swings to start the warmup.
  • 6:40–6:50: 10 minutes of jogging for the rest of the warmup.
  • 6:50–whenever: Meet at the starting point to go over the workout, break into pace groups, and run the workout.
  • ~7:45: Do strength and mobility exercises. A towel or yoga mat can be helpful if the ground is wet or uncomfortable.
  • ~8:00: Chat with your friends, get changed, make dinner plans

Resources