Since the safety precautions for FLRC’s Bodyweight for Runners class garnered a perfect 5-star rating from participants, FLRC is pleased to announce that the club is restarting its popular MITHACAL MILERS training group with cross country workouts on Tuesday nights at 6 PM, starting September 15th. With my RRCA-certified coach hat on, I’ll be leading the workouts.
Workouts will focus on the 5K to 10K distance and on conditioning and skills appropriate for cross country racing—think intervals on grass and hills. All workouts will be carefully designed to keep runners spaced well apart while retaining the feeling of running with a group.
The program is free and open to all FLRC members (join here if necessary), but you must register and sign the waiver (just once, not for every session). We aren’t able to make this part of the FLRC Family Running Program, so only adults and older teens (accompanied by an adult) may participate. How fast you are isn’t important, but you should be running at least 20 miles per week and be able to handle a workout of 5 miles or more, with speed work.
Our initial meeting on September 15th will be at the Monkey Run parking area off Route 366 just outside Varna, and we’ll run on the grassy Dryden Rail Trail and in nearby fields and trails. Depending on the group size, we may be able to return to the Cornell Arboretum for future workouts.
To ensure the safety of all participants, FLRC has come up with the following requirements:
- Online signup is required to manage group size (maximum of 50, per New York State regulations) and ensure data gathering in the event that contact tracing becomes necessary. Drop-ins are expressly not allowed.
- During signup and at every session, participants must agree to the following statements:
- I do not currently feel ill, and I will not attend any session if I do.
- I am not currently running an above-normal temperature, and I will not attend any sessions if my temperature is above normal.
- In the past 14 days, I have not traveled outside New York State.
- In the past 14 days, to the best of my knowledge, I have not been exposed to a person who has tested positive for COVID-19.
- In the past 14 days, I have not tested positive for COVID-19.
- Everyone involved in the sessions, must maintain at least 6 feet of distance from all other people at all times. More distance is better, within the bounds of being able to hear coaching instructions. There is to be no physical contact of any kind.
- Everyone must have a mask with them at all times and must put it on if proximity to another person drops below 6 feet for any reason. Masks do not need to be worn during exercise, but it’s entirely acceptable to wear one if it doesn’t impair breathing.
- The FLRC coach will take attendance before each session in case contact tracing is required.
- The FLRC coach will verbally review the safety requirements before each session.
Any questions? Feel free to ask here!