Week #16 of 18 Recap

We’re getting down to the final days of the 2022 FLRC Challenge, folks, and the group just kicked the weekly mileage into overdrive, with a record 1171 miles for the week! We’ll easily break the 13,000-mile mark over the weekend, and it’s not inconceivable that we could hit 14,000 miles by the end of the day on August 14th. Interestingly, as we get closer to the end, the men have caught up with and passed the women in terms of the number of runs, 1329 to 1310 (though the men are still far behind in total miles, 6006 to 6739). There’s probably some comment that could be made about leaving things to the last minute, but being a guy, I’ll leave that as a last-minute exercise for the reader.

The completions are coming fast and furious, with 14 people claiming their Challenge medals this week, including (deep breath) Dina Maxwell, Mik Kern, Bill Watson, Melissa Weiner, Ana Riley, Adam Engst, Larry Lepak, Jennifer Woltjen, Jules Johnson, Andrea Lachance, Bruce Lauber, Paula Kilts, John Hummel, and Susan Barnett. Also note that Ruth Sproul has now completed all ten courses three times, joining Amy Dawson, and Liz Hartman has now either completed all ten three times or just needs one more Taughannock Rim & Fall completion (could be a data entry hiccup). Congrats to all!

Remember, you can get your medal at the FLRC picnic at Treman State Park on August 25th—please RSVP using Webscorer right away so we can order enough food to feed everyone. Other FLRC Challenge events still to come include:

• Saturday, August 6th at 8:30 AM: Brookton Hill & Dale group run coordinated by @heathercobb3—a great opportunity to get some company in finishing off this tough course.
  • Saturday, August 13th at 4:00 PM: Lansing Center Trail group run and Salt Point Brewing socializing afterward. Bring a lawn chair in case they’re busy.
  • Sunday, August 14th at 8:30 AM: Beebe Lake group run and post-run snacks on Caitlin and Jamie Loehr’s deck at 25 Fairway Drive. Let’s send out the Challenge with a bang!

This week saw a couple of leaderboard changes. Most notably, Mik Kern parlayed his final course into a solid second place in Most Points for menu, and Liz Hartman went on a tear to increase her previously tenuous lead in Most Miles, running 93.9 miles to Amy Dawson’s 52.1-mile week.

But the big change is in the Team Points competition, where the @Fabulous-50s went from being behind the @Fantastic-40s by 1 point to leading by 4 points. Even more impressive are the dark horse @Thundering-30s, who have suddenly pulled into a tie with the @Fantastic-40s thanks to Most Runs points. It’s still way too early to call, with nine days left in the Challenge, but watch this space!

Photos of the week come from Kuwanna Dyer-Pietras, who has run six courses in the last ten days, including the Jim Schug Trail, where she discovered the butterfly bench and garden to go with her monarch tattoo, and from Tonya Engst, who found a Sweet 1600 track in Vancouver that is very concerned about bocci being played on the track.

Finally, I’ve placed the second FLRC Challenge T-shirt order, and I added four more shirts (one each of Men’s M and L, and Women’s S and M) to fill out the minimum 25 pieces. So, if you want one of those shirts, you can still order them on the FLRC Store.

For our last full week of the Challenge, then, keep covering the ground, and let’s see how many miles we can rack up! (And if you’re looking for something that’s not Challenge-related, don’t miss the Forge the Gorgeous trail race and pizza party on Thursday night, August 11th.)

1 Like

Thanks for sharing my photos! The monarchs are definitely out and I feel like I’ve shared miles with them in various places all week!

1 Like