XC workout Tuesday 8/29 at 6 PM at the Cornell Botanic Gardens

Our fall XC workouts are continuing on Tuesday nights at 6 PM (be ready to start at 6:15 PM) at the parking area in the bowl of the F. R. Newman Arboretum in the Cornell Botanic Gardens (Google Maps pin). Everyone is welcome, though you must sign the FLRC Training Programs waiver once for 2023 and, if you’re coming regularly, be an FLRC member. You don’t have to run the PGXC series—the workouts are great social running on their own—but we’ll try to recruit you. :wink:

For this week’s workout, we’re going to focus on hills again. The bowl of the Arboretum has five roads or trails leading up the hill, so after a 10-minute warmup run, we’ll run hard up each hill (focusing on good form, keeping the back straight), continue hard on the flat at the top for at least 10 strides, and then turn and jog back down next to the path (to avoid slower runners). Then you’ll immediately move on to the next path and repeat for one pass through all the hills. All these trails are paved, so wear road shoes.

With Hill #1 and Hill #5, it’s important to run all the way to the traffic signs, a Yield for #1 and a Stop for #5. The goal is to train your brain to lengthen your stride and pick up speed on the flat again after cresting a hill. For the runners with more mileage, once you’ve worked your way through all five hills, if you’re feeling good, start working back for a few more until you’re tired or have completed two sets.

Keep signing up for the Pete Glavin Cross Country series!

Any questions? See you Tuesday night!

Resources

I will not be there because I am on a job interview trip!! Wish me luck!

3 Likes

Good luck!!

Good luck and safe travels!!!

Make sure to tell them about your recent mile times so they know your breadth of capabilities! :slight_smile: