Backstretch Bingo Day 5: Trail Run

Trail Run: Trails are completely different in the winter—run a trail you’ve done before during another season. Stay safe and wear micro-spikes or snowshoes if necessary.

Backstretch Bingo is a hybrid online/in-person activity that gives runners a way to engage with one another and keep their running fresh during the dark days of December—the veritable backstretch of the year.

1 Like

I ran at sapsucker woods this morning. I don’t get to run here all winter as the trails usually become too icy later on, but they’re perfect right now! Nice peaceful run before a busy day.

2 Likes

Same as @melissawallace, there’s a trail in the BU Nature Preserve leading to the saddle that gets pretty iced over by late January-February, especially over the steepest sections (fresh snow isn’t too bad), so I can’t really run that one in the winter.

Here is a photo comparing summer, late fall, and early winter. I stitched the images a couple of weeks ago but ran up there again this morning.

3 Likes

I took a loop around Beebe lake on my run home from the gym. The sight lines are very different around the lake without leaves on the trees.

1 Like

Wow so cool to see the same spot in different seasons! :heart_eyes:

1 Like

I am on the Cornell campus today. I took a break from work to run 5 miles on the Dryden Rail Trail, one of our Challenge courses :wink:

It looks a bit bare in this season, so I’d say that in spring and in summer it’s more beautiful.

There are a few muddy and icy spots, but overall, it was a nice run. I did not see many people on the trail, mainly dog walkers.

The one thing that bothers me about late fall and winter is how quickly the sun sets! Not much time for daylight running…

3 Likes

It never ceases to amaze me how different the trails look between the seasons!

Did a night run at Hammond Hill. There’s some ice patches on Canaan Road! It won’t be long before we can break out the snowshoes.

1 Like

Cool night run at Hammond hill!

1 Like

I ran on the Dryden Tail Trail off Stevenson rd with my faithful running companion of the past decade, Lola. A little muddy when you get close to Rt 13, but it was otherwise pleasant and good for the paws and arthritic joints of my senior companion.

1 Like

I ran on the Beebe Lake trail as part of my run today. Didn’t notice the geese too much.

1 Like

Did some miles on the Treman rim trail this afternoon.

4 Likes

Run/hike up towards South Sandia Peak this morning on a new-to-us trail. It feels like spring or late fall in the valley by the trailhead (40F, sunny and clear) but turns into a windy, snowy, feels-like 10F trail on the ridge. Worth it for the views though! Sam-dog loved the snow and his least favorite part was descending back into the warm desert valley.

2 miles into our run: just a dusting of snow, still warm enough for a single fleece long-sleeve during the climb.

Mile 4: snow! We turned around about 1.5 miles before reaching the peak in the background of this photo.

Mile 4.5ish: exposed windy ridge. Sam looks like he’s in his element, but I have 3 layers on and was still a little cold!

3 Likes

This morning I ran through the snow at Highland Forest, as part of the Syracuse track club’s pancake run. Great pancakes back at the lodge after our run, btw. :smiley:

2 Likes