Backstretch Bingo Day 7: Rock a Run

Rock a Run: Run someplace with a rock formation, man-made or natural, and post a picture of your stony surroundings.

Backstretch Bingo is a hybrid online/in-person activity that gives runners a way to engage with one another and keep their running fresh during the dark days of December—the veritable backstretch of the year.

1 Like

My friends @adam.schoene and Nick taught me a special route to the lighthouse near the Newman Municipal Golf Couse in Stewart Park, so I run there this morning… rainy but very scenic with the fog! And with plenty of rocks, even underwater…

3 Likes

Ran around Beebe Lake intending to take a picture of the Stone Bridge - but it was too gloomy!

2 Likes

The Sandia foothills are full of rocks that slid down from the mountains over time. Locals like to imagine them as parts of sleeping giants - there are rock formations called “the fist”, “the knuckles”, “the head” and more. I don’t know if this one has a name, but it can be anything your imagination wishes to dream up!

3 Likes

Today I stopped at Fuller Hollow Creek near one of the entrances to the BUNP, where the creek flows over a few small knickpoints. The water level was higher today but we’ve taken a few family photos standing or sitting on the rocks here!

Note: I ran in my school colors today. :smile:

4 Likes

Rocked a run with my friend Benedetta! (Thanks to @bobtalda for the rock bridge idea on Beebe lake.)

4 Likes

4 Likes

I rocked a run at Monkey Run — saw the eroded cliffs and butt rock. Trails conditions were great!

3 Likes

Explored some side trails off the South Hill RecWay on my run today, including this awesome little spot with a waterfall, stone steps, stone wall and hemlock grove.

2 Likes

I started and finished my Saturday run on the Columbia St pedestrian bridge overlooking Six Mile Creek. Note that taking that bridge can be helpful for getting from Collegetown to the South Hill Recway.

2 Likes

While in NY, I ran to Little Island, which is a very cool human-made bit of land held up by these awesome concrete foundations (part rock!)

Then I ran back along the Highline Park, which is a reclaimed above ground rail line, and snapped a pic of this famous building (made from limestone and granite, among other materials) from the west side.

4 Likes

This was a great group run Saturday that ended with a picture made perfect by this rock formation at Hammond Hill.

4 Likes

I went up to the South Hill Rec Way and ran by this rock formation (with creek from snowmelt) on the middle length leg:

2 Likes

This rock formation was made to house the little waterfall at our pond

1 Like

I stopped to admire the sunrise over the dam on Beebe lake while running into the gym this morning. The ice really highlighted the beauty of the gorge.

5 Likes

Meant to post this last Sunday! Ran at flat rock/monkey run. Lots of slippery rocks on the trail, and cool snow tipped rocks in the little cliffs next to the river. Can this count as my trail run too?? Feels like cheating! Haha

3 Likes