FLRC Challenge Brookton Hill & Dale group run on Sunday, July 17th at 8:30 AM

It’s always easiest to tackle a long run with friends, so if you’d like to notch your Brookton Hill & Dale 10.4 mile run this Sunday, there should be plenty of company. We’ll meet at 8:30 AM at the Brooktondale Community Center and run over to Brookton’s Market at 8:45 AM to start. We can gather at Brookton’s Market for post-run refreshments.

I won’t be running due to %@^$&#* posterior tibialis pain, so you’ll have to put up with me swinging by for two loops on my ElliptiGO. Unless this injury resolves quickly, I may be organizing hikes on this course and Lick Brook & Treman FLT to finish my own Challenge.

Let’s be inclusive and fight climate change by carpooling. Vote if you need a ride or can give one, and post a reply with pickup possibilities.
  • I need a ride
  • I can give a ride

0 voters

Please register in the poll below using your flat road pace so others can see that they’ll have pace partners.

• Sub-8:00-minute pace
  • 8:00-9:00-minute pace
  • 9:00-10:00-minute pace
  • 10:00-11:00-minute pace
  • 11:00-12:00-minute pace
  • 12:00-13:00-minute pace
  • 13:00-and-up-minute pace
  • I’ll be hiking

0 voters

If you aren’t signed up for the FLRC Challenge (no time to waste!) or haven’t yet signed the FLRC Training Programs waiver already in 2022, please do one or the other. We’re happy to help if you need assistance getting started with the Webscorer app on your phone.

Everyone is welcome, and I hope to see you Sunday!

@Challengers, @raenb0 reminded me that Sunday is supposed to be pretty hot, so if you’d like to join this group run, here’s some advice on beating the heat:

• Hydrate well the day before, and before you start! You don’t want to be sloshing, but you should go into the run well-hydrated.

• Feel free to start early when it will be cooler, particularly if you’ll be out there a long time. It’s more fun to finish with the group than start with the group. Ideally, run with a friend anyway.

• Run easy, particularly if you start to feel the effect of the heat. Remember, you just have to cover the ground, and there’s no shame in walking it in or getting a ride if you overheat.

• Carry fluids, particularly something with electrolytes (freshly squeezed alligator, or whatever modern version you prefer). If you don’t have a hydration pack or hand bottles that are easy to carry, consider dropping a bottle or two on the course on the way in.

• That said, don’t overdrink during or afterward. Hyponatremia (low blood sodium from drinking way too much water) is a real thing. Plus, sloshing.

• Wear lightweight, light-colored, loose-fitting clothing. I never quite know if it’s better to wear a light hat to keep the sun off your head or not, so your heat can shed heat more easily. Don’t forget sunscreen.

• Check out the CDC’s guide to heat-related illnesses so you have a sense of what to do if someone you’re with starts looking bad.

Since I’ll be out on the ElliptiGO with a cell phone the entire time, I’ll keep an eye out too.

And even better, @Gretchen will be setting up a water stop at her house at 205 White Church Road (about 8 miles in if you’re going counter-clockwise). It’s the house with an FLRC Challenge lawn sign in front, just before you get to Caroline Depot Road. There will be a cooler with water and ice packs, and if you want to drop your own bottle there beforehand, that’s fine too.

Big thanks to Gretchen!

1 Like

I may start early. Any other slower runners interested in arriving before 8 and beginning to run at 8? Or even earlier?

Looking like a nice morning tomorrow with temps in the mid 70s—see you all tomorrow.

Caroline Brockner and I are going to try to start at 8:15. Also, Josh is coming to run with the group.

Yet another brilliant group run, even if I had to content myself with circling the course twice on the ElliptiGO. 24 hardy soles (which works out to 12 runners by the usual algorithm) showed up and broke into a few groups. I once again forgot to take a photo at the start, but captured a number of happy-to-be-finished runners afterward, before we all hung out at Brookton’s Market to cool off and converse.

@JoshB, @lizhartman, @Zippy, and @johnhummel22 (rocking the Five Fingers!)

@junglerock

@zac

@Jmckain85

@Katie_Gannon

@melissa-weiner

@tonya-engst and @caroline-brockner

Well, I mixed up the dates and have no smiley photo finish from yesterday. :woman_facepalming:t2:
I DID take 26 minutes off my first time. Hopefully I’ll figure out the calendar for the group runs in the future.