FLRC Group Run at Hammond Hill Saturday 5/4 @ 9:30am - Thom B Preview!

The next FLRC group run will be this Saturday, May 4, at Hammond Hill, and will act as a preview for the Thom B Trail Runs (8.5 miles) coming up on May 19. If you are feeling some trepidation about the course, this is the perfect opportunity to get a feel for it. Regardless of your race-day plans, all are welcome!

We’ll meet at the Hammond Hill parking lot at 9:30 AM and start running at 9:45 AM. There will be post-run snacks available so please stick around after for socializing and a delicious breakfast.

RunGo directions are available so if you’re not running with someone who is 100% familiar with the trails, please use them. You can view them online and download them to the RunGo app on your smartphone or Apple Watch. Search for FLRC Thom B Trail Race Loop. (There is little to no cell coverage at the parking lot or on the course, so download the directions before you leave for the run.)

Register for Thom B Trail Runs!

Please vote in the poll below so others can get a sense of who else will be running their pace. We always have a wide range of runners, so you’ll generally find someone to run with.

Pace Poll
  • Sub-8:00-minute pace
  • 8:00-9:00-minute pace
  • 9:00-10:00-minute pace
  • 10:00-11:00-minute pace
  • 11:00-12:00-minute pace
  • 12:00-13:00-minute pace
  • 13:00-minute+ pace
  • I plan on hiking
0 voters

Everyone is welcome, regardless of age, ability, pace, or anything else. This is a free activity and club membership is not required, but please sign the FLRC 2024 Training Programs before your first run this year. You only need to sign the waiver once for all 2024 group runs, so if you’ve already signed it, you’re all set—check here.

Let’s try to reduce the number of car trips to fight climate change. Vote if you need a ride or can give one, and post a reply below with meetup ideas.
  • I can give a ride
  • I need a ride
0 voters

NOTE: If you haven’t been to the parking lot before, Google Maps may bring you to it from the south on Hammond Hill Road. That road isn’t passable—always approach from the northwest, coming from Irish Settlement Road.

If you have questions or are interested in volunteering as a greeter/host for similar group runs, contact FLRC Group Run director Heather Cobb (cobb.heather.m@gmail.com). See you this weekend!

Subscribe to FLRC’s Google Calendar so race dates, group runs, and other club events flow into your calendar. Import this ICS file for most calendar apps; subscribe to fingerlakesrunners@gmail.com if you use Google Calendar.

1 Like

Anyone wanna do the Challenge course instead? Anything to avoid that first Thom B hill😅

2 Likes

Does anyone have a downloadable gpx file for Thom B?

There is one at the bottom of the 2021 Challenge page.

1 Like

Thank you. For anyone who uses Garmin, I have published a public trail named “Thom B FLRC”

1 Like

Hi there, if someone is able to give me a ride from Ithaca I would greatly appreciate! I am happy to meet anywhere.

1 Like

@Gerald comes from that way, and he voted in the poll that he can give a ride!

1 Like

I’m coming from Warren and Hanshaw. Can swing by campus. Just tell me where you will be

2 Likes

That would be great, thanks so much. Perhaps outside Barton Hall? I can meet wherever and let me know what time works best for you!

Great. How is 9am? I’ll be in a green Subaru Forester

I’m planning on doing the Challenge course.

That works perfectly, thank you! See you tomorrow

Gerald, something came up and unfortunately I cannot make it tomorrow for the run. Really appreciate the offer of the lift anyway though - thanks and enjoy tomorrow

1 Like

I want to do the challenge course, but I think I am a lot slower than you Steve.

I’m doing the challenge course. I’m about 10:30/ miles on the road. Slower on trails.

lol, I should have actually checked the Challenge course, the hill in question is still there😅

I also didn’t realize this started an hour later than the past 2 weeks, unfortunately I wouldn’t be able to make it home in time for kid duty so I’m out :running_man:t2:

You could always run the Hoctathon course early and aim to finish at 9:30 to see everyone. :slight_smile:

I’m also planning to “run” the challenge course, starting at 9:30 and taking my time, walking some of the hills. I’m about a 10:30 road pace but I’ll be slower on this course, due to the length and hills, closer to 13-14 min miles, if anyone wants to join.

1 Like

A small, social group of runners met this morning to run Thom B and the Challenge course. The weather was perfect, and so was the post-run bagels and conversation.

2 Likes

How was it out there? We’ll be putting up some signage in the next week - please let us know if there are any downed trees or other attention!

Two weeks and counting down… 'til then - happy trails to all! ~Mr. Hector.