MITHACAL MILERS time trial on Tuesday, 11/22 at 7 PM in Barton Hall

The MITHACAL MILERS workouts are growing—we were around 40 people last week. This week is a little different. So we can determine our Jack Daniels’ paces and split into groups for future training, everyone needs to run a mile at their current race pace. As such, this week’s workout will be a mile time trial. This is a diagnostic effort, not a race! Please arrive 10-15 minutes early so you have time to change—you don’t have to sign in at the desk anymore. The warmup starts at 7 PM.

Please enter your name and predicted time in Webscorer so I can manage the timing. (Really! Everyone has to be in Webscorer before we can start.) We’ll be running at least three heats, seeded by time (slow to fast, as in our meets). The predicted mile time is just for heat assignment purposes—feel free to guess.

I won’t be able to facilitate an injury recovery session this week, but Kate McCormick will again be leading kids 7–11 in running games—more info . The weather kept some people away last week, but she could use a few more kids to make a coherent group. So parents, please come!

You must be an FLRC member to run in Barton Hall over the winter, including at these workouts — join or renew today if necessary. Everyone must also sign an online waiver once for 2022. It’s the same as for the FLRC group runs, so if you’ve signed that one this year, there is no need to do so again—check Webscorer to see if you already signed. )

Once the time trial heats are done and everyone has had 10 minutes of jogging, we’ll reconvene to do a strength and mobility routine. Bring a yoga mat or towel—the track surface is hard on bare skin.

Any questions?

Resources

1 Like

And for those who may be rehabbing or slightly injured and not feeling healthy or strong enough for the time trial, I will be there walking (or doing walk/jog intervals depending on who comes, but totally down to walk and chat!).

1 Like

If I get there a little extra early and the track team is not on the track, is it ok to start warming up? I’d like to get in a few miles for a warm up.

Yes, that should be fine. I also figure that those in the later heats can continue to run on the outside of the track while the earlier heats are happening.

1 Like

Sorry for what is likely a dumb question, but is Barton hall heated?

Yes, it’s entirely comfortable. My guess is mid-60s—it’s a little chilly to stand around in shorts and a t-shirt without running, but with any movement, it’s great. Park in the Cornell parking garage for the closest open spots.

You can also warm up outside - the Cornell campus (IMHO) is lit up enough at night that it’s safe. If you look at a map, you can see Tower Road extending from near the Arts Quad (about a mile?) to near the Vet School. The Arts Quad in particular is about a half-mile around and a nice place to run at night. Any road on the main part of campus will have sidewalks and street lamps. Campus Road is too busy to be fun, even with the sidewalks, though, unless you are east of Barton Hall.

Thanks but I am not familiar enough with campus to want to navigate it in the dark with icy sidewalks. I can do a more controlled warmup inside.

Good running, everyone! You can see your results here. Let me know if anything seems off.

https://www.webscorer.com/racedetails?raceid=298610&did=357392

If you want to get a head start on checking on your pace, enter your time for the mile in the Jack Daniels’ VDOT Running Calculator