MITHACAL MILERS track workout and injury recovery session Tuesday, 11/15 at 7 PM in Barton Hall

We had 30+ people for last week’s MITHACAL MILERS workout, and it was great fun getting people back on the track at Barton Hall. You can park in many spots on campus, but the parking garage is often the most convenient. Please arrive 10-15 minutes early so you’ll have time to change—it turns out you don’t have to sign in at the desk this year. Parents can bring kids aged 7–11, and Kate McCormick will be leading them in running games until 8 PM—more info.

You must be an FLRC member to run in Barton Hall over the winter, including at these workouts — join or renew today if necessary. Everyone must also sign an online waiver once for 2022. It’s the same as for the FLRC group runs, so if you’ve signed that one this year, there is no need to do so again—check Webscorer to see if you already signed.)

For our second pre-time trial workout, I’m going to keep things simple again. We’ll kick things off at 7 PM with Jay Johnson’s Lunge Matrix and Leg Swings (see below for YouTube links).

• Track Workout: Cross-country runner legs should have recovered from the championship race by now, so this workout will be a little harder. We’ll run 8 by 400m (two laps) with the first lap at a comfortable hard pace and the second lap being at what feels like mile race pace. Recovery should be 400m (two laps) of easy jogging at a conversational pace. The goal here is to start adding some stress for the legs to adapt to without going all out for two full laps. The last 400m can be part of a 10-minute cooldown jog—you don’t want to stop abruptly after speedwork.

• Injury Recovery Session: Once the runners have started, everyone who’s joining me for injury recovery will gather off to the side somewhere to discuss what we’re dealing with and start in on some easy exercises.

Once the runners are done, we’ll reconvene to do Jay Johnson’s Strength and Mobility routine to close things down. Bring a yoga mat or towel for these—the track surface is hard on bare skin.

We’ll be running a mile time trial next week (11/22) so everyone can get a race time from which to determine paces using the Jack Daniels pace calculator.

Any questions?

Resources

1 Like

I wish I could attend! Unfortunately, I have to attend an evening Colloquium of the Cornell History dept. instead. Bummer! But I’ll definitely be there for the mile time trial next week.

As long as it’s on the history of the mile race, we’ll let it go this time. :slight_smile:

Unfortunately, the wintery mix is going to keep Jasper and I home tonight! Roads not good right now and predicting more freezing rain. Looking forward to next week!

2 Likes

Great turnout last night at Barton Hall! Thanks again to Adam for securing Cornell’s willingness to let FLRC on the track Tuesday evenings. It was especially important last night when wet snow made running and driving slippery outside.

1 Like