MITHACAL MILERS track workout and injury recovery session Tuesday, 11/29 at 7 PM in Barton Hall

Last week’s time trial was hugely popular, with 41 people clocking diagnostic times and another 15 helping put it all on, doing the kid workout, being a kid, and generally being supportive.

Now it’s time to apply the time trial result to your training, which is aimed at helping you race the mile in the FLRC January 15th, February 19th, and March 12 track meets, plus the Hartshorne Masters Mile on January 21st for those over 40. (Mile training is great for other distances too and builds oodles of moral character.)

First, look up your time on Webscorer, if you haven’t already. Second, go to the Jack Daniels’ VDOT Running Calculator. Select the 1 Mile distance, enter your time, in minutes and seconds, click Calculate, and switch to the Training tab. (If you missed the time trial, you can use another recent race time or go run a hard mile on a track on your own.)

In the example above, I’ve used a 6:18 mile. The Training tab shows what your Easy (E), Marathon (M), Threshold (T, also called Tempo sometimes), Interval (I), and Repetition (R) paces are. We’ll probably only use T, I, and R in these workouts. The beauty of the calculator is that if our example runner wants to run an 800 at I pace, say, they can see that they should aim for roughly 50-second laps (in the 200m column) and a 3:22 overall (the 800m column). It is good to have a watch you can start and stop for each rep, although we will split into groups who are roughly the same pace.

• Track Workout: For this week’s workout, we’ll do a ladder of 200-400-600-800-600-400-200. We’ll be playing with paces in this workout, so the 200s and the 400s will be at your R pace, whereas the 600s and the 800 will be at the slower I pace. The rest will be 400m after each rep. The repetitions total 2 miles of speed, so if you aren’t running at least 25 miles per week overall, you can drop the 800.

• Injury Recovery Session: Once the runners have started, everyone who’s joining me for injury recovery will gather off to the side somewhere to discuss what we’re dealing with and start in on some easy exercises.

Kate McCormick will again be leading kids 7–11 in running games—more info here. She could use a few more kids to make a coherent group.

Resources

Hi! Quick question for a newbie. How long is the track available before and after the workout? Primarily asking because I am supposed to get about 14km in today total and figured I might be able to use the track for that…

Hey @edp! The track isn’t available at all beforehand because the Cornell track team has their practice from 4 to 7, but there’s good running around campus (potentially including the outdoor track) beforehand. Afterwards, I believe Barton remains open until 11 PM, so you could keep running after the workout as long as whatever group is in next doesn’t take over the track.

For anyone looking to get into Barton at other times, here’s the Barton calendar.

1 Like

Hi! Is it possible to jump in at this point in the season and join tonight? I’ve been unable to get there before this week. I run approximately 2x a week and am not fast (no longer running marathon distance) but would love to join.

Thanks,
Rebecca Givens

1 Like

@adamengst - you mentioned this morning that there is an Apple Watch app that you thought might work well for people who don’t have Garmins but do have Apple Watches. Can you remind me what it is called? (Everyone - if you’ve been coming to these, you know that people tend to group up in pace groups. It generally works well if one or two people in each group are actively using a watch to be aware of timing and shouting out times so people can sense how the pacing is going. If you sort of know how to use your watch to time an interval, this afternoon is a great time to practice!)

You’re welcome at any point, @rebecca-alguard, and it’s likely that there will be someone running your pace. My only note is that if you’re not running at least 15-20 miles per week, we’ll need to talk about how to cut down the workouts so you’re not overdoing it.

@tonya-engst, the app that I’ve heard is the best Apple Watch running app is WorkOutDoors. It’s $5.99, and I’ve just downloaded a copy to my iPhone. Holy cats, is it customizable! It seems you can configure it with a button for New Interval and a readout of Lap Time, along with workout distance and workout time.