MITHACAL MILERS XC workout 8/31 at 6 PM at the Cornell Botanic Gardens

It’s only two weeks to the first PGXC race on September 12th (sign up today!), so if you’d like to get a few workouts in first, join us for the MITHACAL MILERS workouts in the F. R. Newman Arboretum in the Cornell Botanic Gardens. Last week’s workout brought some new faces.

For this week’s workout, we’re going to do Arboretum Rockers. That involves starting at the big hill on the east side. Run hard up the hill—all the way to the stop sign—and then turn around and jog back down easy. Once on the flat, increase your pace to more of a marathon pace—faster than easy, but slower than tempo—and run over to the hill on the west side. Run hard up that hill—again to the stop sign—and then jog back down and do M pace back to the east hill for one rep. In other words, hard up the hills, easy down, and medium in between. Depending on mileage (and heat), each person can do 2-4 reps.

Any questions? See you Tuesday at 6 PM.

PS: We meet at the parking area in the bowl. The workouts are free and open to all FLRC members, but everyone must sign an online waiver once for 2021. (It’s the same as for the FLRC group runs, so if you’ve signed that one this year, no need to do so again.) If you aren’t fully vaccinated, please wear a mask whenever you aren’t running. (And get vaccinated!)

Resources

We got an email on Friday stating that Cornell is imposing masks indoors and outdoors while on campus… Does this impact the workout? Not sure where the campus line is…

Good question. Last year, when I discussed this with Cornell, they were OK with our workouts without masks as long as we stayed well apart from one another while not running and kept our distance from anyone else around. Let’s all just make sure we have masks with us for before and after, and put some effort into keeping at least 6 feet apart, or side-by-side if running at the same speed.

And of course, anyone who wants to wear a mask during the workout certainly may!

I’ll touch base with my contact there about future workouts. Worst case, we’ll move back to the Monkey Run parking area and the fields near the Dryden Rail Trail.