Upcoming Saturday Group Runs on the Lick Brook & Treman Challenge Course

There has been much discussion among the @Challengers surrounding the Lick Brook & Treman FLT half marathon course. It’s daunting to be sure. We want all Challengers to be successful, so behind the scenes we’ve been cooking up a way to make sure that happens by offering three group runs which will take place during the usual bi-monthly Saturday gatherings.

The first, taking place this Saturday, 6/25, will tackle the Lick Brook portion of the course, a roughly 4.5-mile round trip. The second will traverse the Treman FLT section on Saturday, 7/9, a 9.4-mile tromp. The third group run will help you complete the entire course on Saturday, 7/23. Of course you are welcome to run the entire course during any of these runs.

We know this course is intimidating, which is why, during the last group run, we will be offering on-course support with pacers, and a mobile aid station at the King Road turn around (mile ~2) and Woodard Road crossing (miles 9 and 11). The start/finish parking lot will serve as your own aid station to take a break, grab some water, and gird your loins for the second section.

Hiking is encouraged – allowing more time to take in the beautiful waterfalls – so gather some friends to make the time pass faster!

On to the details for this Saturday, 6/25, to tackle the Lick Brook side. We’ll meet at the Finger Lakes Trail parking lot at 8:30 AM and start running at 8:45 AM. There will be post-run snacks available so please stick around after for socializing and a delicious breakfast.

Please vote in the poll below so others can get a sense of who else will be running/hiking their pace. We always have a wide range of participants, so you’ll generally find someone to run/hike with. (Use your road pace.)

Pace Poll
  • Sub-8:00-minute pace
  • 8:00-9:00-minute pace
  • 9:00-10:00-minute pace
  • 10:00-11:00-minute pace
  • 11:00-12:00-minute pace
  • 12:00-13:00-minute pace
  • 13:00-minute+ pace
  • I will be hiking

0 voters

Everyone is welcome, regardless of age, ability, pace, or anything else. This is a free activity; neither club membership nor registration for the FLRC Challenge is required. If you are not registered for the FLRC Challenge, you must sign the group run waiver. You only need to sign the waiver once for all 2022 group runs, so if you’ve already done so, you’re all set! (Check Webscorer to verify that you signed.)

Let’s be inclusive and fight climate change by carpooling. Vote if you need a ride or can give one, and post a reply with pickup possibilities.
  • I can give a ride
  • I need a ride

0 voters

If you have questions or are interested in volunteering as a greeter/host for similar group runs, contact FLRC Group Run director Heather Cobb (cobb.heather.m@gmail.com). See you Saturday!

Subscribe to FLRC’s Google Calendar so race dates, group runs, and other club events flow into your calendar. Import this ICS file for most calendar apps; subscribe to fingerlakesrunners@gmail.com if you use Google Calendar.

I plan to hike the whole thing (or alternate running with walking, but overall pace will be slow) - let me know if anyone cares to join me!

2 Likes

I think I can only make it on the 23rd! I can give a ride from Lansing or Cayuga Heights/downtown area. Thank you for providing support with this challenge course. I am really looking forward to it! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Brittany! Thanks for offering to carpool! I will do separate posts for the other two group runs, so be sure to answer the polls when the posts are published.

Hi Rachel,
Michelle Dardia and I are also planning on hiking-jogging the full course this Saturday morning, so we could tackle it together.

• Gretchen

Perfect! I’ll email you separately to coordinate.

1 Like

@raenb0 @Gretchen @medardia I am also planning to jog the whole course, so I’m happy to tag along with you ladies. Would you still be meeting at 8:30 AM at the parking lot?

Yes, we’ll be meeting at 8:30am with everyone else and you are welcome to join us for the full course. Just know that we plan to hike a lot of it. :smiley: - Gretchen

This is so great! I’ve been working hard but am very intimidated by the long ones. I can’t join this Saturday but hope to for the others. I’ll be a hiker. I do jog the downhills (seems to be easier on the knees for me). Hope to meet some of you folks soon. Really cool of the club to be doing all the extras for these <3

1 Like

Adam and I are bringing some friends from the Netherlands, Lars and Laura, who are visiting Ithaca. Lars was a Cornell grad student a few years back, and they are both avid runners.

1 Like

Another large group run for the eastern third of the Lick Brook & Treman FLT course. We had 19 people at the start and another 5 who had started earlier and joined us for snacks afterward (thanks to @mickiejauquet for the leftover watermelon and oranges and cookies from Tortoise).

2 Likes