XC workout Tuesday 9/12 at 6 PM at the Cornell Botanic Gardens

For this week’s workout, we’re going to be returning to the grass (though pavement remains an option for part of the course). This week’s intervals will be on the eastern side of the Arboretum, starting at what High Noon calls the Flying Diaper sculpture but is technically known as the Hyperbolic Paraboloid.

We’ll still meet at 6 PM (ready to start at 6:15 PM) at the parking area in the bowl of the F. R. Newman Arboretum in the Cornell Botanic Gardens (Google Maps pin). After our lunge matrix and leg swings, you’ll do your warmup such that you end up at the Caldwell Road entrance to the Arboretum. Then, the workout is long, not too steep, hill repeats alongside the road under the nut trees. Once you get to the intersection, you’ll turn right and continue along the field until you get to the mowed path that leads back down—it’s about 500 meters. (I hope there’s a mowed path because loops are better than lines, but if not you can just retrace your steps.) Jog down to recover, regroup at the bottom, and do it again. Pace should be I-pace effort, or 5K race pace, and reps should be in the 4–8 range.

Everyone is welcome, though you must sign the FLRC Training Programs waiver once for 2023 and, if you’re coming regularly, be an FLRC member. You don’t have to run PGXC—the workouts are great social running on their own—but we’ll try to recruit you.

Remember, the PGXC pre-season spaghetti party is this Friday—hope to see lots of you there!

Any questions? See you Tuesday night!

Resources

I was just running on the hill earlier today and, yes, there is a nice mowed path, parallel to the road. It was pretty today, with fall wildflowers in the unmowed field nearby.

1 Like